Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox - Will Not Open Or Uninstall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johnwmck

johnwmck

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:46 AM

I have a Lenova T61 notebook with Vista OS.

Recently Firefoxe's desktop icon changed to an unbranded (plain) icon; like that of a file icon without a .extension. I cannot associate a particular or deliberate change to system or Firefox settings that may have contributed. And when I double click on the icon to open, I get the message: 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

So I tried a system restore to roll back to earlier system settings. The system hung during restore - so I overode a shut down after waiting and waiting. When booting up again, a Windows message said something like system restore did not complete, would you like to complete now - I selected yes - restore process ran through to presumed successful completion - so I then did a reboot - the message was there again so I presume was not successful - and the Firefox icon was still 'plain' and would not open.

I then opened Uninstall Programs widget from within Control Panel - when clicking on Firefox to initiate uninstall, nothing happens. So I went direct to Firefox's program folders area and clicked directly on the uninstall exe and nothing happens.

So I download and install Firefox 5.01, supposedly successfully, and same scenario with its desktop icon and program uninstall from Control Panel and FF program folders.

I opened into Safe Mode and FF icon is as usually branded by FF and opens fine.

I switch off AVG Guard - same problem still exists. Running Zone Alarm Free Firewall with Firefox ticked on all Access and Server options.

I do not know what to do from here. Please assist - anyone!!!

Thank you.

Kind regards
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:47 AM

Similar problems with any other browser...IE, for example (since it's already part of Windows)?

Louis

#3 johnwmck

johnwmck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:10 AM

Thanks Louis
Any suggestions regards solving the problem. I particularly do not wish to reformat Windows and setup my working environment from scratch. I much prefer to solve the problem within current installation. And there is the System Restore that did not complete....
Is there an alternative BC forum list that I should transfer my topic to to generate some solution based recommendations - should my topic be listed as a Malware enquiry?
Yours and anyone in anticipation.
John

#4 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:52 AM

According to the Forum Moderator's post (6-22-11) on the official zone alarm forum, Firefox 5 is not supported by zone alarm yet.

Firefox 5 just became officially available today.

ZoneAlarm does not support Firefox 5 at this time. We are working on an upgrade so that will be supported.

ZoneAlarm will support IE8, IE9, FF3 and FF4 with current 10.x versions of ZoneAlarm.

http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=77355

try uninstalling firefox when the computer is running in safe mode

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users