Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive wiped.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 I.Tstudent

I.Tstudent

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:06 AM

Hi, a family member has a corrupted windows, he does not have a recovery disk and the recovery partiton is corrupted aswell. Is there a way I can purchase windows vista without buying a new product key? I can still use the product key that is on the side of the case.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:10 AM

If you are going to purchase a copy of the OS, why wouldn't you want the product key that it comes with?

#3 I.Tstudent

I.Tstudent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:30 AM

I thought it may have been cheaper. I really would like to know how the guys that fix computers for a living deal with this situation. How do they reinstall the OS to the computer, after malware removal etc. I thought that they had i.e. a windows 7 or vista dvd and they pick what version the product key supports on the side of the computer and thats the OS back up and running. After that you just have to find the mobo drivers.

Its these dvds that I'm after, if they exist.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

If that system comes with a recovery partition...the manufacturer of the system is your recourse to recovery/restore procedures/mechanisms.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:33 AM

Hello,

There are various sorts of reinstallation OS disks, however, they are not universal. Dell, for example, has it's own sort of OS reinstallation disks that contain codes specific for that computer. And yes, this is a reinstallation disk and not a restoration disk. Other companies may provide restoration discs, which restore the computer back to factory settings. In some instances, the owner is provided instructions for creating them when they purchase the computer; however, many owners do not do so. The most common method these days, is to have a recovery partition on the computer. That is used to restore the computer back to factory settings.

In a situation in which a recovery partition doesn't exist or has been ruined, and the owner doesn't have reinstallation disks, the owner needs to contact the company that built the computer and inform them of the situation and ask for reinstallation disks. The company will send them out. There is a cost for the disks, but you are not purchasing a new OS or key.

What I've written here concerns prebuilt computers. Custom built is somewhat different. In any case, any set of discs used to reinstall an OS must have a key associated with it.

Note, that there are many other things that need to be installed when reformatting and reinstalling: chipset drivers, keyboard stuff, mouse stuff, and a myriad of other things, so it's not just the OS and the motherboard.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 I.Tstudent

I.Tstudent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:39 AM

I have ran a recovery from the recovery partition and the sfc /verifynow reports back violations, I have ran a sfc /scannow a number of times with no joy. So the only way to fix it, as far as I believe is get a recover disk at a cost, or get a windows vista dvd and reinstall the os using the product key thats on the case. If I am correct I would like to get the OS dvds so if there are future problems with other computers I can pop in the os dvd and use the persons product key.

It is a packardbell Imedia B2316 AIO

Its my grandas, he complained that it was to slow etc. None of the OS tools, performance checker etc would not work and so I ran sfc and it confirmed that the system files where corrupted.

#7 I.Tstudent

I.Tstudent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:49 AM

Normally the mobo drivers covers all chipset, mouse, keyboard drivers etc. What I've come across anyway. I understand that the recover disk brings the computer back to factory settings, this can be annoying, as you have to get rid of all the crap that comes with it.
In the real world when an I.T guy comes to fix your computer, does he say that you need to phone for a recover disk at 30-40, or does he just install the OS from his own OS dvd collection? The main OS DVDs that you need are X86 and X64 XP, Vista and Windows 7. With vista and 7, you just select which version the customers product license covers.

#8 I.Tstudent

I.Tstudent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:55 AM

Would you like to see the log file create by sfc?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

In the real world...anyone servicing a system that needs a reinstall of the O/S...will charge for said reinstall and the charge will vary. Said person will also charge for other troubleshooting time/services that are related to said computer situation.

If you want a copy of Vista...which you can subsequently use to install on "any" Vista system...then you need to buy a MS retail CD. I would not suggest that since Vista is/has become...passe. I would suggest buying an upgrade version of Win 7, rather than backtracking to Vista.

Nothing against Vista, but more systems today and tomorrow are likely to have Win 7 rather than Vista...and your current system is not going to last forever.

It's all a matter of how a user views his projected computer usage, IMO.

<<...so I ran sfc and it confirmed that the system files where corrupted>>

Well...that could indicate a possible hardware problem...files become damaged for various reasons and I would always...check the hard drive before attempting a new install of any O/S.

Louis

#10 I.Tstudent

I.Tstudent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:45 PM

I appreciate all your replies. Louis, you did hit the nail on the head there about hardware problems, as before I did the sfc check, I checked event viewer and there was many many hardware related problems i.e. page file, which would suggest that the hard drive could be banjacksed. But I ran the error check tools and they found no errors, I have bought myself a mobo checker, in which you plug into a PCI slot and it states if there is anything wrong with the hardware. I will update you about that when it comes in the post.

I have used the recovery partiton to reinstall the default image, but when I run sfc, corruptions are still reported, but the OS tools work now, i.e performance etc. But I would think that it may degrade over time and more files will become corrupted.

Regarding the OS, looks like I will have to buy a retail dvd and then ask for any donations when I fix a friends computer ;).

Cheers for now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users