Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving Programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dpb510

dpb510

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:32 PM

Hey everyone!
I have 2000 pro and XP, both on the same hard drive.
Most of the programs were installed under 2000.
I would like to know, if it's possible, to move the programs form 2000, so they would work with XP.
Or do I have to uninstall in 2000, then reinstall under XP?
Thanks,
.....dpb..... :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kd1966

kd1966

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:26 PM

If by moving you mean copying folders from one to the other, you might be able to get away with that with some smaller programs, but for the most part, you will have to reinstall programs into the new one (XP I azzume)
The reason for this is that many programs also copy files (dlls and others) into the OS via \system32 or other locations. Merely copying the program file folder will cause execution errors, and unless you have a compleete list of what files get copied where for the particular programs you want to move.............. get the point? Just reinstall in the new OS for best compatibility

#3 kd1966

kd1966

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:28 PM

Also, if you're also talking about file settings transfer, that only applies to USER SETTINGS on the desktop, it does not transfer whole entire programs

#4 kd1966

kd1966

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:30 PM

I am currently using SystemCdr to dual-boot 2000 and XP using a 160GB HD; from the 2000 partition, the XP is hidden, but under XP, the 2000 partition is visible and I actually DO run a couple of programs directly from the 2000 partition while in XP (Agent and a few others), but I don't recommend it

#5 dpb510

dpb510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:00 PM

kd1966.

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I was fairly sure (85%) that I would have to reinstall the programs to XP.
But, it's a real confidence builder to hear this info, from folks like you, who are in the know. Which makes it easier to continue on, with a little peace of mind. :thumbsup:

Follow up question. I have 2000, and XP installed on the same HD in separet partitions.
Should I remove 2000, and if so, before reinstalling programs to XP, or does it matter?

Again thanks,

...........dpb..........

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:18 PM

Safest would be to re-install the applications to XP, and make sure they work; then you can uninstall 2000, if you need the space, from its partition.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users