Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant get secondary display to work

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nadelaney

nadelaney

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:37 PM

Am running WIndows XP SP3. Just installed a Biostar A780L motherboard with ATI Radeon HD3000 On Board Graphics (AMD 760 chipset). The board has both VGA and a DVI-D ports. I have a montior plugged into each port but cannot get anything on the secondary display which is on the DVI-D port.

What I've done so far:
I have set the Display properties to "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" and I have run ATI Catalyst software (that came with the board) and tried to get it to "enable the display" but the monitor just doesn't seem to be recognized.

I deleted all the video drivers from the old board/card that were left on the hard drive (had Nvidia card prior) and re-installed the new drivers that came with the board.
I looked for updated drivers, but couldn't find anything (even on the AMD site) - I guess because it's a pretty old board, etc.

I switched the monitors and only the one on the rgb port works correctly. (but it confirmed that both monitors do indeed work)

The power button on the monitor blinks from red to green as though there is no signal.

I looked through the bios and saw some video settings (like "Primary Video controller" settings) but I didn't want to mess with that because I don't have the vaguest idea of what the settings mean.

With previous boards, I've been lucky enough to just plug it in and it works... but I can't tell if something is wrong with the mobo or me!

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:53 PM

if you only plug a monitor into the DVI, will it work just fine? some integrated chips will only let you use one display output, even though they have two.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 nadelaney

nadelaney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:48 AM

Didn't do that! I will do it as soon as i get home from work... (why didn't I think of it before???)
Thanks for the input.

#4 nadelaney

nadelaney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

checked and found no display with either monitor when plugged into the dvi-d port. both work in the rgb port. any suggestions? I hate to take the whole darn thing apart to send it back if it's just a bios setting or something like that.

thanks for any advice.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:34 PM

your board http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=472

i quick read the manual ,and all i seen was it has avg and dvi support , with support for ati hybrid crossfire ,[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Hybrid_Graphics ] ,,I see nothing about duel monitor support ,or how to switch from one to the other. when you right click on the desktop and go to properties /settings /display ,does it show 2 monitors
make sure you dvi cable works

Edited by caperjac, 25 July 2011 - 08:34 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 nadelaney

nadelaney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:58 AM

Thank you so much for your advice. The part about the cable got me thinking :-) I knew the cable was working because it worked in the vga port, but I had an adapter on it. I borrowed a dvi cable and VOILA! All works now! BTW, while looking for a cable to buy, I found that there is DVI-D and DVI-I, anad I needed a DVI-I cable. (The adapter btw, is a DVI-D)
Thanks again for taking the time to respond and for pointing me in the right direction.

N

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

hey, sorry it took so long for me to get back, that was going to be my next suggestion, but I'm glad you got it figured out :thumbsup:

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users