Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Terminating Norton And Mcafee, Trying Something New

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dan9119

dan9119

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:22 PM

I have decided not to renew my mcafee and norton products and want to take them off of my computer and install a different firewall, antivirus and spyware programs. Any suggestions on how to eliminate the current two and then also what new programs to try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:43 PM

dan9119,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. I wholly recommend uninstalling the 2 brands you mention. And I'm sure as you look around these forums the majority of members will also support that position. McAfee and Norton products have gotten quite bloated for the amount of protection offered. It would be helpful to give us the exact products that you have to better assist in your removal process. In the mean time I'll give you two links to look at for a list of alternatives to the current ones you have. Once you have uninstalled your current products.

Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps, this list is comprehensive and has more than just Antivirus' and Firewalls listed.

Removal instructions for most Symantec/Norton products. Also read the second post in that thread

If there is anything you don't understand or need more information about please post back.

Be (Bloatware) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:45 AM

I switched from MacAfee to AVG Free Edition over 2 years ago and am very happy. I left 14 months on my script to MacAfee.
While I like AVG there are several very good freeware replacements. I like the SyGate personal free firewall, but again there are several excellent freewall replacements out there. As far as antispyware, run as many as your resources (RAM) will support. By the way if you are not loaded (256min, 512rec'd) with RAM you may want to consider an upgrade. You should also have your computer loaded with the "Online scanner" primers so if you have a problem the are already to run.
Sorry if I appeared to have strayed off topic, but believe me the are related. I hope this was of some help.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot Tutorial
AdAware SE Personal Edition Tutorial
SpyBlaster Tutorial
SpywareGuard Tutorial

Trojan Removal Tool
Ewido Anti-Malware After a 14 day trial it will not scan automaticily(2000, and XP only)(Features)
A Squared Free

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer Only
Trendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire Only
Panda's ActiveScan Internet Explorer Only
F-secure's Virus Scan Internet Explorer Only
SyGate's Trojan scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer Only

Removal Tools
Kaspersky Removal Tools
AVG Manual Virus Removal tool
MacAfee Stinger Virus Removal Tool
Symantec's Viurs Removal Tools
BitDefender Removal Tools Free

Utility
cCleaner
Firewall Security Test

Firewalls(Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Personal Free Edition (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall

Best of all... they are free.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users