Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Conversion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AMDGuru

AMDGuru

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

I have Windows 7 and can't open .pdf and some .txt files. I get a box that says "File Conversion" and then the name of the file. Below it says "Windows", "DOS" and "Other Encoding" with radio buttons next to them. To the right side of the window it lists, Wang Taiwan, Western European(DOS), Western European(IA5), Western European(ISO), Western European(MAC)and Western European(Windows). Western European(Windows) is highlighted. Below that is a box that is called "Preview" with what looks like a bunch of binary code. I can't read the file.

What is going on here. I think I converted files at some point in the past. I did go to "Default Programs" and tried to change the program which opens files, but it didn't work. Any ideas???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:24 PM

Do you have a PDF reader installed? that could be your problem there. Text files will work converted to either UTF8 or as ASCII.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

Hmmm...I had this happen about a week ago in XP...same options/windows...but my problem trying to read some files from Libre Free in MS Word.

I think that running chkdsk /r cleared it up, but I won't swear to that :). But I can read them in Word today, as I should have been able to do then.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users