Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7-64 will not boot properly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

Set-up: Custom-built PC (not by me), Win 7-64 bit, 8GB RAM, dual hard drives, computer itself about 2 yrs old, but paid to have it upgraded to current configuration 5 months ago.

Issue: We had a thunderstorm a couple days ago, which may or may not play a part. It seemed to be working fine afterward, and re-booted fine. I have and use a CyberPower battery back-up and surge-protection system, but I was not at home to shut it down when the storm hit. I got an error message when I tried to start Photoshop last night and re-booted and that's when the trouble started.

It will begin and the "Starting Windows" screen will appear... then it will hang up. Eventually it will restart itself from the beginning and just do the same cycle over and over. I CAN get it to Safe Mode, but I cannot get it to "normal" windows.

I have tried the various repair options, and none seem to work. It asks if I have installed anything recently, and I have not. I ran "sfc /scannow" and it found nothing. I ran my anti-virus and Malwarebytes, and nothing was found. I should also mention that I did a system restore back to a known good point. Didn't help. I have copied (read: backed-up) files from the C: drive to external drives while in Safe Mode, so that is not an issue is I need to get extreme.

I do have the original installation disk. I read online that I can do a repair install but not from boot or Safe Mode (which are the only two options I have at the moment). I don't want to do a clean install, but am wondering if I have to. If I do, I will have to back up all my drivers and such, and I've never done an install with a RAID controller before.

Any thoughts or questions or suggestions are most appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

You have a RAID configuration operative? Which one?

Louis

#3 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:25 PM

According to the device manager, I have an Intel ICR8R/ICR9R/ICH10R/DO SATA Raid Controller.

#4 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:31 PM

Ok, now this is weird. I had run chkdsk and sfc before. Neither found anything. I had pretty much resigned myself to having to re-install the OS. I ran a "chkdsk /f" one last time and let it restart on it's own... and it booted just fine. Maybe a tad slower to get to the right place, but now it is acting as if nothing had ever happened.

Just for my own information and education, can anyone tell me what might have happened? Or, if I still need to be wary? Thanks.

Edited by deltacoolguy, 25 July 2011 - 01:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users