Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unbootable Laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bjamessuchy

bjamessuchy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

Hello. This is the first time I have ever had to make my own topic about a computer issue of mine, I can usually find info easily online!

So, to start, I dropped my laptop. Please don't pile on! The thing was near death anyway, but it would be nice to be able to get it to work for at least a few more weeks before I get a new one.

It's an HP Pavilion dv9000 series...a particularly troubled series, I know. I've so far sunken $600 into this thing in the past three years, between a faulty motherboard and a dimming LCD screen. When I originally bought it it ran Vista, but I upgraded it to 7 (Basic 32bit) when it came out (as such, I only have the disk for Vista). This time I'm pretty sure the issue is unrelated to anything I've experienced in the past, because I, well, dropped it.

So the problem is that it will not boot. I can get the HP screen, but after that it goes to a black screen with a blinking underscore in the upper left that never goes away. I have been finagling around in the setup screen, which I can access just fine, and I can get it to do a startup repair but it always ends telling me the computer cannot be repaired. Here are the details:

EventName: StartupRepairOffline
Signature1: 6.1.7600.16385
Signature2: 6.1.7600.16385
Signature3: Unknown
Signature4: 21202080
Signature5: AutoFailover
Signature6: 2
Signature7: NoRootCause
OSVersion: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
LocaleID: 1033

I've also tried to do the two self-checks that are offered. The computer passes the Memory Self Test. The Primary Hard Disk Self Test, however, comes up with the result: "#10009 - Replace Hard Disk."

This sounds very bad to me. Is the "hard disk" the same thing as the hard drive? I'm not terrified that it may be dead as I know info can still be recovered from dead hard drives.

So at this point I'm just trying to see if I can get this thing running again on my own. As I said, this event has cemented my plan to get a new comp (which I was previously on the fence about), and I refuse to invest any more money into it, so bringing it to a shop is not an option.

Other issues I should mention--the inbuilt keyboard and cdrom drive do not work, and have not worked for several months. I've been using a USB drive and keyboard. The USB keyboard seems to work fine upon startup as I am able to get all the F keys to work. I have also disabled the booting of the inbuilt cdrom drive, as it makes this odd grinding noise now and I thought it may be adding to the problems. I will not do anything that requires me to wipe the hard drive. I have information on it that is too valuable to be deleted to save this stupid laptop.

So I ask the experts, is there any way to boot this computer? Any way to get it to run for me for three more weeks? Any way to do this without bringing it to a shop? I can't do much myself but I can follow instructions just fine. Thanks a lot everyone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:18 PM

Well to me you should replace the disk drive.

#3 bjamessuchy

bjamessuchy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:47 PM

And doing this will allow the computer to boot properly? So the hard drive IS dead, and IT is what is causing this problem?

Again, I'm just trying to nail down what the problem with this could be. I can't find a solution if I don't know what the problem is.

Edited by bjamessuchy, 24 July 2011 - 06:49 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:50 PM

Yes the hard drive is dying or is dead its time to replace it.

#5 bjamessuchy

bjamessuchy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:54 PM

Hmm, alright. Do you think the hard drive got wrecked in the fall, or it's life naturally ended coincidentally? Because the hard drive is one of the only things that hasn't gone wrong with this computer yet, which is suspicious to me.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:05 PM

hard disk and hard drive are 2 in the same ,and data is not always recoverable from damaged drives ,,,

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:12 PM

Hard drives falling are bad.

#8 bjamessuchy

bjamessuchy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

Oh well. I hated this thing anyway. It won't be hard for me to get on with my life lol.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,740 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:08 PM

You can always remove the hard drive...install it as a secondary in another system...and look for signs of life and/or run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on it...to verify its demise/need for replacement.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users