Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade from XP with no SP's to SP3

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chayden

chayden

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:17 PM

Hi:
I have an old toshiba portege laptop that came with windows xp. I had to reinstall windows xp from scratch and now I need to bring it up to date all the way through SP 3. Do I have to download and install all 3 service packs, or is there a way to download and install all 3 at once? Does SP 3 contain SP 2 and 1 for the computer that has none of the above?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:35 PM

Hi chayden,

You can download an ISO from here and burn it to a CD.

Once burned, you can then install the CD with SP3. Then be sure to update windows again with the windows update page to fill in the blanks and get the latest software.

Hope this helps!

bloopie

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:39 PM

Service Packs for XP are cumlulative. You just need to install SP3 - that will include the previous service packs. You can download it to your computer from the link below and install it. No need to burn it to cd.
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=24

Edited by Allan, 24 July 2011 - 04:40 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:18 PM

Just make sure all your drivers and software is updated before downloading any Service Packs.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

Just a note...I believe that you need SP1a already installed...before you can install either SP2 or SP3.

SP3 contains SP2.

Quote from http://www.winsupersite.com/article/faqtip/windows-xp-service-pack-3-faq, "Though XP SP3 aggregates all of the previously-released XP fixes, Microsoft now says that you will need to install at least SP1 on XP before installing SP3."Frankly, that what Microsoft has always said, it's not a change :).

Louis

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:53 PM

Yep, you're correct. They now say sp3 wants sp1 installed.

#7 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:10 AM

I find the requirement of "now" having SP1 installed before SP3 quite interesting.
It has been over a year now that I slip Streamed original XP Home CD with SP3.
I did this twice, on a friend's laptop, and my Desktop. Both installations went well.
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#8 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

Just another note:

The above instructions in this thread are correct.

I just find it safer to have a CD burned for the installation of Service Packs so that you do not have to download anything from the internet with an unpatched system.

CD's are easily burned with any decent software nowadays, and you can burn whichever SP's you like.

bloopie

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:45 PM

Good idea...I just download the network installer packages...and save those along with any programs that I routinely use and backup to another drive. Some problems with Windows can be overcome by just reinstalling SP3, IME.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users