Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thunderbird Filter Help, Please

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 floridaze

floridaze

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

Good day or evening, wonderfully helpful Bleepsters.

I'm playing around (out of urgency) with Thunderbird's filters for the first time. I use version 3.1.1 on Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

I need to filter a certain somebody's emails to be responded to immediately upon arrival with an automatic message. I have a filter set to respond with a template message telling this person to basically give up trying to reach me. I have the filter set to be applied when checking mail. But that doesn't send the auto response immediately. It sends when I click on "Get Mail."

If I set it to when checking mail after classification, would that send it immediately? I sort of don't have the presence of mind right now to try all the options and find out. Again -- rather urgent. Or do I need to keep Tbird open all day and night and have my ISP's email automatically download? I think that's very likely the case, but 1) how should I set my filter, and 2) is it SAFE to leave Tbird open 24/7? Doesn't that make me more likely to get hacked? Is there any other alternative via filter settings?

Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

How is the filter set up?

Who is your ISP?

Edited by cryptodan, 24 July 2011 - 12:54 PM.

#3 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:13 PM

Hiya Cryptodan.

I have the filter set to respond to this person's address with a template message from me, an autoresponse if you will. I have the filter set on the dropdown menu to be applied when checking mail. Should I change that?

My ISP is a local company.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by floridaze, 25 July 2011 - 12:18 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:15 PM

thats not what I asked, I need to know the specifics of how the filter is set up.

#5 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:29 PM

I'm sorry, I guess I don't know exactly what you're asking, since this is my first try ever at Tbird filters. :(

If this helps -- with Tbird 3.1.11 open, Tools > Message Filters > Filters for (my address) > Filter name (the name I named it), apply when checking mail, match all of the following: (unwanted person's address), perform these actions: reply with template (name of template), and I checked the box that said enable filter, that filter is at the top of the list, and I have it set to run on inbox.

I'm sorry if that's not what you're asking. That's all this filter newbie knows to tell, unfortunately. It's not so urgent that it HAS to be employed immediately, not a criminal matter or anything, just something that's got me under a lot of stress. Thanks again.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:55 PM

I just got it to work and it works great. How often do you need this to be done?

#7 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:12 PM

It works great for me too, but only when I manually download my email from my ISP to TB. What I need is for the "unwelcome" message created by my template/filter to be sent to said person immediately when said person's emails arrive. Is there a way to change my filter setting (such as to when checking mail after classification, or when checking mail or run manually, or ?), to make it send the "unwelcome" template message to that person immediately, as in whether or not I clicked on "get mail?" Or would I need to keep TB open all day and night and have it set for my ISP's email to automatically download for that?

If so, 1) how should I set my filter in that case (meaning apply when checking mail, or when checking after classification, or ?), and 2) is it SAFE to leave Tbird open 24/7? Doesn't that make me more likely to get hacked? (BTW, I use CIS and Windows Defender and have everything updated to secure myself against that.)

Many thanks again.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

I downloaded and used TB 5, and set it for checking email and manually. You can decrease the time to 1 minute on how often to check for new messages.

It is safe to leave your mail client open.

#9 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:30 PM

Yep, I decreased it indeed. Thanks for all the time and for the assurance of safety. :thumbup2:

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:32 PM

Id also upgrade to the latest version of Tbird.

#11 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:34 PM

Been contemplating that. I'm sure I'd feel more secure. Can I do that and still run version 3.x.xx FF? (Creature of habit, holding out as long as it's still supported with updates.)

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

Yes you can as they are totally separate programs.

#13 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:44 PM

Gotcha. Thanks again for the faithful help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users