Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone not loading

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:09 AM

I'm trying to run Visual Studio 2010 so I can do some programming for the Windows Phone and XNA 4.0, but I haven't opened up Visual Studio 2010 for a few months now (been using 2008 and XNA 3.0). Upon clicking to open, I get the little splash screen that says it's loading and it's licensed software yadda yadda. Then, the main window opens just long enough for me to see it, then it fades away (in Windows 7 aero style, as though I clicked to close the program). It has no presence on my taskbar or in my um... corner stuff next to the clock. But it does show in Task Manager as VCSExpress.exe

I'm not sure what the issue is, but I'm running it as administrator and I've tried to open all of the binaries available in the Program Files folder, without success. I don't think I've made any hardware or software changes that would affect this running.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:40 AM

Have you checked your Windows' events log for any clues?

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

Running the program doesn't cue any events, as far as I can see. I've never used this Event Viewer before... I kinda just picked it up when you mentioned it now, but I looked in the "Application" events and nothing was cued around the times I tried to run it (although I do now realize that I get a lot of errors... :blink: )

Edited by Ryan 3000, 24 July 2011 - 12:33 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:09 AM

But it does show in Task Manager as VCSExpress.exe

I don't know what causes this behavior, but I would try the following: start Sysinternal's Process Explorer, select the VCSExpress.exe process, right-click and select Window / Maximize.

If Window is grayed-out, it means that the application as no window. Which is abnormal for VS.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:47 PM

Oh my... I seem to have completely forgotten about this topic for the past 2 days. I am ashamed. :o

Process Explorer worked just fine, Didier! Thanks for the suggestion. Strangely enough I've had Process Explorer in my thumbdrive's Admin Tools folder for almost a year, and never had a reason to use it. Now I know! (VCS still opens in 'invisible' form, but hey, it ain't broke enough for me to go to all the trouble to fix it further.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users