Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Upgrade after reformat?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dsstringer

dsstringer

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

I have been working with another tech in the spyware/malware forum to try and rid my computer of viruses and spyware/malware. We found that the main culprit was TDL 3 and have been able to successfully remove that, however the technician feels that my computer security has been comprimised and is recommending that I reformat the computer. I cannot find the Windows XP disc that I need to use to put Windows XP back on, but I have already purchased the Windows 7 upgrade. That was done before all the virus stuff and I was trying to fix all of that before I upgraded. I want to reformat my computer and Install Windows 7 but am worried it isn't going to work since I only have the upgrade purchase. Do you have any suggestions on what I should do? I'm assuming from feedback from the other tech, the only way to completely rid the system of infections is to reformat.

Thanks for you help.

Dinah

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:50 AM

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media

Also, make sure your system supports W7 and that there are drivers available.
http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor

#3 dsstringer

dsstringer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

I read the links. Do you recommend which option of the three listed I try? My computer does support W7. Do I need to reformat my computer first? How would I go about reformating my computer?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:12 AM

I'm not trying to be rude so please don't take it that way - but I'm not recommending any of them, I simply answered your question. As far as I know they all work, but I've never tried any of them.

#5 Mr Smooth

Mr Smooth

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:51 PM

With any new operating install I seriously advise to buy a new hard drive to install on. That way you have the old drive as a backup if anything goes wrong, and you can just add the old drive in to copy all the data from once the new OS is installed.

For 30 - 40 for a 1TB drive, its just simpler and easier and it gives piece of mind.

Windows 7 upgrade can be installed on fresh drive. Just dont put the key in when you install. Put it in when you activate once installed.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,394 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:11 AM

<<With any new operating install I seriously advise to buy a new hard drive to install on.>>

I believe that is bad, costly advice...there is no need to buy a new hard drive when there is such a thing as formatting available as a tool.

I don't really see any logic in buing a new drive every time that I want to install Windows. I would suggest buying a new drive only when it is clear that the current drive has problems that cannot be overcome and which are not partition or file system problems.

And...new hard drives arrive DOA every day :), necessitationg a return to vendor.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2011 - 08:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users