Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor goes to sleep and won't respond

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:03 AM

I have a 1 year old Gateway desktop running Windows 7 home premium with 4gb ram. Sometimes, when I am working and the system may be idle for 15 min or so, the monitor will go into sleep mode. It shows no signal, and no keyboard action will awaken it. I have the power settings to never turn off and the screen saver is off as well. I swapped out the monitor with another and it did the same thing, so I think I have eliminated hardware. I then went to the device mgr and attempted a driver update, which said I had the latest driver. The only way it will come back on is to cold boot the system. BTW, I hace reseated the video cable as well.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:10 AM

First of all NEVER update drivers from Device Manager. Video drivers should be obtained from the OEM website, not from Microsoft. Second, does the same thing happen in safe mode? If you haven't tried, please do so.

#3 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for the reply...I have not tried it in safe because it only happens every 5 or 6 times I am on the system. I can try to do this, but it limits my ability to work...I will taske your advise to d/l the update from the OEM...Motherboard or video chip???

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

So it doesn't happen EVERY time the system is idle for 15 minutes? Then don't worry about safe mode - intermittent issues are very difficult to diagnose.

#5 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:49 PM

I did put it in safe mode and...lo and behold...it shut down the monitor...the tower was still running. Also I noticed that the keyboard was not live either...the caps lock and number lock lights did not light up...Does that help? Also, I guess I will have to d/l the chipset drivers???? (there is no card)

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:52 AM

If the problem occurs in safe mode it's almost certainly hardware related. Beyond that, the fact that it's intermittent really does make it harder to diagnose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users