Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop freezes during boot up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mboston2004

mboston2004

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:24 AM

Hello, I was wondering if anybody could help me with a problem I've been having with my desktop. I believe this is the best forum to post my question, I didn't see one dedicated to errors/crashes. Recently when I try and start the machine one of 3 things has been happening and I'm not sure how to fix the problem or what the problem may be:

1) I know the machine is running (I can hear the fan, etc) but nothing appears on my screen - just blackness and eventually the screen goes into sleep mode as if the computer wasn't on at all

2) The machine starts but freezes on the first screen and after a few moments switches to some sort of diagnostic screen I hadn't previously seen. It says "PCI device listing" and is a list of things like "Memory Controller," "IDE Cntrlr," "SMBus Cntrlr," etc. At the bottom it says "Verifying DMI Pool Data" and "Boot from CD." I try pressing keys and nothing happens. On my most recent attempt (as I wrote this) a new line of text was at the bottom of the screen. It said "Press F10 for Alien Respawn v2.0 System Recovery." I did and after a moment it said "A disk read error occured, press CNRT + ATL + DEL to restart"

3) One time it rebooted as usual but took 5+ minutes in between loading screens and when I successfully logged in it would freeze intermittently until, after about 10 minutes, it kicked me back to the login screen with an error box saying something about Security Options failing to initialize. The computer attempted to shut itself down but froze and never actually shut itself down.

I have no idea how to fix my computer or if maybe I'm screwed and it is broken beyond repair. I wish I could post my specs but I can't even log in. I run Vista on this machine. I know the problem can't be virus-related because I don't connect my desktop to the internet - it is(was) strictly for gaming. any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:26 AM

Do you know the model number of your Alienware Computer or the Dell Service Tag Number?

It seems that maybe your hard drive is failing.

So can you tell us the hard drive brand?

#3 mboston2004

mboston2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:13 PM

Hi Cryptodan, thanks for responding. I lost the little binder that came with the PC while moving so I don't know the model or service tag number nor do I see it anywhere on the computer. I'm certain, however, that the warranty has expired as I've had this machine for almost exactly 4 years. The hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250 GB

You think it sounds like it may be a hard drive issue?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

Download Seatools for DOS and run the extended test.

#5 mboston2004

mboston2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:24 PM

Well the problem is I can't even get logged in so I don't know how I would run that extended test

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:25 PM

It will boot up way before windows. It is a CD that you create and boot from.

#7 mboston2004

mboston2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:29 PM

Oh ok. Thanks for the tip, I will give that a try

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman