Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Jerky browser scrolling.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DrProphet

DrProphet

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:29 AM

Hi,

Had no idea where to post this question, it kind of lands in a grey area, but seeing as my O/S is XP, thought this would be the most suitable place to start.

I have just performed a clean install, and am in the process of adding, all my AV, and program software. I have however noticed, that when I scroll with my mouse wheel, down the page, it kind of ripples rather than smoothly scrolling.

Have I maybe set my screen up at the wrong resolution? I didn't install any monitor drivers during the install, cos hey, the monitor is working after all. Could something be missing though?

It's not a major issue, but I would like to iron out all these little niggles early on to keep things working tip top.

Please feel free to suggest if this post would be better served in a browser area of the forum, or anywhere else for that matter.

Thankyou.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:43 AM

Did you install the driver for your video card (and did you obtain it from the oem website)?

Also, please open device manager - any yellow or red symbols?

#3 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:58 AM

Hi again Allan,

I'll look into that. And let you know. Got kinda confused by the device driver install part, due to the volume of diagnostic utilities/ drivers discs, some loaded, some didn't, some had ticks next to devices, some didn't. What you could call slightly out of my depth. But i've come this far, with the help of this forum, so i'm sure i'll get there eventually.

Cheers.

#4 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:21 AM

I finally found my device drivers list. Yes, lots of yellow symbols.

As follows:

Other Devices:
Multimedia Audio Controller
PCI Simple Communications Controller
SM Bus Controller
USB Device
Video Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

I have looked on the dell support website, and used my device tag. It gave me a list, Applications, Audio, BIOS etc.

I have 2 problems with this, Firstly when I click on one of these options, I get a drop down menu, which could have 2, 3 or even 5 options in it. From here I have no idea which one I should download. One, or All? Also as my PC is working reasonably, is it possible that somehow, some are already installed.

And secondly, If i were to now download say, the chipset (Intel-Driver) Is there a risk of damage to my system?

A. Because I have come this far already (i.e. installed some AV software, firewall etc.
B. because it may already be installed
C. when i attempted to download it, I recieved a pop-up "Publisher cannot be verified" are you sure you want to install this application. also, a footnote about applications potentially harmful etc.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:26 AM

Don't you have another thread on this? Didn't I already ask you (multiple times) to install the chipset driver?

#6 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:32 AM

Sorry Alan,

Yes I did have a similar thread on this, but regarding 'no internet connection'. That problem was solved. I was not aware that this was stemming from the same problem ('ie. the chipset drivers). Apologies.

I did manage to get my internet up and running, but it was more by luck than judgement.

I did not fully understand the chipset install, as none of my discs stated such a thing. It has only been since I have managed to get online and to the dell support site that I have discovered this item.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:39 AM

You're making an easy process difficult. Just download and install the chipset driver. Do the same with the driver for your video card (device manager will tell you which card you have). Let's see where we are after that.

#8 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:46 AM

Hi,

Just checked my other thread. Didn't realise, you had advised about, soundcard, video card drivers etc. :blink: Was concentrating too much on the online bit, I guess.

I appreciate all the help so far, I'm just not sure if I have to download ALL the drivers in the dell support list for my computer, as there appear to be multiple ones for the same areas. Or whether it will now affect any software I have installed. I guess I shouldn't have veered off that path until all was complete. :wacko:

From now on I will stick to asking one question at a time, and fulfill them before moving on.

Soz.

Priority question:

If I download AND install all the drivers listed under my service tagged PC in the Dell support site, will it damage my PC?

#9 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:47 AM

I have a habit of doing that. I will do as you ask, and be right back. Ignore my last post, I wrote that before you had replied :/

Be right back.

#10 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:26 AM

One word.

SMOOTH.

Thankyou. I shall now install what I believe to be the outstanding drivers that I require. Will let you know how I get on after that.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:08 AM

There you go.

#12 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:17 AM

OK, temporary case of technophobia is now over :thumbsup:

Have installed all necessary drivers. I now have a nice picture, sound from my speakers, a working printer, and a working webcam.

Now just to add my itunes, and my personal files and i'm back up 'n running.

Thanks again. Especially for your patience :busy:

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:21 AM

You're most welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users