Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware blaster alternative for Opera?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DrProphet

DrProphet

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:19 AM

Hi,

pretty much a simple question. I have done a forum search on this subject but could not find any matching results.

Basically, as the title suggests, I have just performed a clean install, and fancied trying an alternative browser to Ineternet Explorer. Thought, i'd try Opera, but saw somewhere that spyware blaster is more for I.E. & Firefox. Is this correct? If so, is there an alternative I can use in conjunction with Opera??

Thankyou.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

Hello. As of versio 4.4 SpywareBlaster does not offer protection for Opera at this time. Since Opera does not support Active-X, malware isn't as big an issue with the Opera browser.

https://www.javacoolsoftware.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=44&nav=0,4
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:54 AM

Even if you are thinking about using an alternative browser, the fact that you still have Internet Explorer and may use it from time to time is still reason enough to use SpywareBlaster.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for that guys.

Think what i'll do then is give Opera a try. If I think it may take the place of my Internet Explorer, I may leave S.B. alone. However if like you say quietman, I may want to use I.E. from time to time, I shall definitely download it.

Is there any reason why I WOULD want to keep Internet Explorer. Are there some functions available in I.E. that Opera is lacking?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:22 PM

I prefer using Firefox but use IE when checking for critical patches and updates. I do not use the notification balloon in the systray. Windows updates also provides critical updates for IE so I know it's always up to date whether I use it or not.

If I update FF with a new version and have problems with it, then I use IE as my alternate browser until the issues are resolved.

There is really no need to remove IE...just don't use it.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

Is there any reason why I WOULD want to keep Internet Explorer. Are there some functions available in I.E. that Opera is lacking?

I use Opera as my default browser and have for many years. IE is needed for Microsoft updates, and the odd website you may run across that renders funny in Opera and other browsers. Not to mention the fact that it is nearly impossible to dissect safely out of your OS, no matter how much you want it gone. :whistle:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:01 PM

Looks like i'm keeping it then :thumbup2:

Thanks guys. By the way, I'm now on Opera, and loving the speed :) Am happy enough to leave IE where it is, My PC, isn't exactly pushed to it's limits on the software side of things, so no probs there, and I have recently discovered just how important updates and patches can be.

Cheers.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#9 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:45 AM

I see that this thread is rather old, but feel the need to comment on Opera.

I used Google Chrome for years with great joy and satisfaction. When Google  dumped Win XP in April 2016, I changed to Opera.

With no exaggeration I have found Opera almost a mirror image of Chrome in nearly all respects. Opera  even allows legitimate installs from the Chrome web-store. My screen is so much  like Chrome that I cannot tell the difference and my bookmarks bar, extensions, tabbing, settings and general layout is practically identical. All my  bookmarks, passwords and private data was easily transferred over to Opera. Opera  even updates my other software programs.

I have found that Opera is faster (more responsive) than Chrome and I love the Speed Dial  start page with personally selected icons. Using Sandboxie to open Opera is exactly the same as Chrome with no problems.

IMO Opera is a superb browser and infinitely better than Chrome. After the change over from Chrome, I have never looked back and offer my grateful thanks to Google for dumping Win XP. Without this superb piece of irrational and inconsiderate annihilation by the Googlie  wizards, I would never have discovered this impeccable Opera browser.

SpywareBlaster ? I have it, but whether it works or not causes me no insomnia. 

Using Sandboxie and regular manual scans with my ad-hoc scanner programs, I have never had an infection on my PC since installing Opera, but I never had any with Chrome either.

Edited by Beaker77, 14 May 2016 - 04:38 AM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:08 PM

I still recall your other topic which is more recent.

#11 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 02:45 AM

I still recall your other topic which is more recent.

The thread which you refer to concerned an  entirely different subject.

My latest post concerns the fact that SWB does not support Opera, so with SWB not updating my Chrome at that time and not being compatible with Opera, one person who  does not  need anything whatsoever to do with SWB is me.

My  post  on this thread was intended as a glowing tribute to Opera in the total absence of SWB. It was not  intended to be controversial.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,954 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:17 AM

I know but it was an interesting discussion and others reading this topic might find it a good read as well.

#13 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:51 PM

RIP Win XP from Opera.

I saw the following epitaph on the web, which explains everything in a nutshell. Whilst I stand by the glowing compliments I  said about Opera, it is the end  of the road for XP and users will have to restrict themselves to  version 36 for as long as Opera provides it. Then it is faithful Firefox IF Mozilla then still support XP. If the worst comes to the worst, there is always Safari or Ubuntu.

Here is the Opera blog :-

Windows XP & Vista

It has been announced on Chrome Blog that Windows XP and Vista support is ending including security fixes. We do care for our loyal users, which you could recently observe with 12.18 security update. While Opera 36 will be last one with features additions on Windows XP and Vista, we are still going to provide security and crash fixes to XP and Vista platform. You will no not be able to run Opera 37+ on Windows XP and Vista, we advise you update to more recent OS, if possible. Otherwise, we will have Opera 36 for you.

QaFxCQQ.gif

Edited by Beaker77, 19 May 2016 - 02:02 PM.

#14 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:52 AM

RIP Win XP from Opera.

I saw the following epitaph on the web, which explains everything in a nutshell. Whilst I stand by the glowing compliments I  said about Opera, it is the end  of the road for XP and users will have to restrict themselves to  version 36 for as long as Opera provides it. Then it is faithful Firefox IF Mozilla then still support XP. If the worst comes to the worst, there is always Safari or Ubuntu.

Here is the Opera blog :-

Windows XP & Vista

It has been announced on Chrome Blog that Windows XP and Vista support is ending including security fixes. We do care for our loyal users, which you could recently observe with 12.18 security update. While Opera 36 will be last one with features additions on Windows XP and Vista, we are still going to provide security and crash fixes to XP and Vista platform. You will no not be able to run Opera 37+ on Windows XP and Vista, we advise you update to more recent OS, if possible. Otherwise, we will have Opera 36 for you.

QaFxCQQ.gif

You should probably post this in one of your Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications topics, but since it is here, I'll tell you that you might want to try out SlimJet browser by Flashpeak.  It is basically Chrome with the Google operators removed and it does still support XP and Vista.

http://www.slimjet.com/

Yes, Slimjet 10 remains compatible with XP and Vista

http://www.slimjet.com/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=990&sid=026406b090cf9ec93dfb74c94a1fbddb

I don't use it as my default browser--still have some Firefox-only extensions I can't live without, and really haven't explored its features very much, but like it for Facebook and playing some online games.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users