Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Driver Stopped Responding

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 crazitaco

crazitaco

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:28 AM

while playing sims 2, the game just randomly closed and i got two messages.
the first one said the following:
"Display Driver Stopped Responding- The ialmrnt5 display driver has stopped working normally. Save your work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality...blah blah blah...."
the second said:
"the graphics adapter in this system experienced an internal error. please contact your graphics adapter manufacter for technical support. the application will now terminate."

then the colors went wacky (they reminded me of safe-mode). even after i restarted the computer, the graphics still looked wierd, and i had to manually change the colors and screen resolution back to normal (using display properties on desktop).
my computer uses
intel®82845G/Gl/GE/PE/GV graphics controller, and considering the computer is fairly old, is the graphics card just going out? i've played sims 2 in the past with minor graphical problems, but never anything too severe.
~thanks in advance :)

Edited by crazitaco, 24 July 2011 - 01:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:41 AM

Hi crazitaco :)

If the computer has been OK an playing the game at least fairly well in the past with the same graphics, then it may well suggest that the chip is on its way out. It will not do any harm though to try,

1) Updating to the latest Graphic driver if it does not have the latest already. I believe this is your Graphic chip here, select your operating system, download and install the driver.

2) Pop the side of the PC and give motherboard a thorough blow out with a can of compressed air, including any fans. If you are comfortable popping the memory cards, and any other expansion cards out, then do so and blow all slots out as well as the cards. Take outside to blow out as you may be surprised with the amount of dust and muck.

3) Give a good virus scan with some programs suggested on this site, I can not go too much into the virus side of things as my training does not allow it. But indications are that it is more probably hardware related.

Good Luck crazitaco,
jodav :)

Edited by jodav, 24 July 2011 - 03:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users