Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VHS to DVD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:05 PM

Hi,
I recently tried a software think it was called easy VHS or something like that but what it did was hook up our VHS player to my computer to eventually make DVD out of the VHS tapes, but sadly it was horrible software that lagged the video and audio and even froze at some points so I just need something that will transfer VHS tapes to DVDs I know u get what u pay for so I'm open to any suggestion or something from personal experience I just want good quality that is as close to the original as I can get :)

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:08 AM

I used a capture card and appropriate software...to transfer my old VHS tapes to digital format...but there's probably some appliance existing now that does it smoothly.

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/gadgetreviews/news/2008/02/gadgetreviews_VHStoDVD_machines

I would go with the Pinnacle device, if I wanted to do such today.

Louis

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:34 AM

The fastest and most reliable devices out there are VHS to DVD combos, that allow recording from either format to the other.

As long as your VHS video tapes are not commercial 'copy-guarded' videos you should get excellent video and audio quality.

Computers are notorious for bottle-necking, the video and audio being way out of sync during the streaming process and the finished product being the same.

Roxio has a VHS TO DVD device that uses the USB port on your computer, it has RCA jacks for video in or you can use the S-Video port and both stereo channels, however, if your computer is not fast enough in processing power, your videos won't be worth keeping.

If you live in the USA, Walmart has VHS-DVD recorder combo for around $150.00 USD, it requires an external RF converter for display on older non-digital TV sets, but the HDMI output can be used for direct connection to your digital TV.

This device has no TV tuner however, but there is one unit that is only available on line that does, but it costs more.

For your convenience, I will add the links here for you and if you want to know if these are good units, I own both units and are very happy with their quality.

VHS TO DVD SOFTWARE

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=3944&ic=48_0&Find.x=0&Find.y=0&Find=Find&_ta=1&search_query=vhs%20to%20dvd&_tt=vhs

VHS-DVD combo recorder WITHOUT built in analog/digital TV tuner (line in only)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-Dvd-Player-Vcr-Combo/11319408

VHS-DVD combo recorder with analog/digital TV tuner (Also tunes in cable TV channels)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sylvania-Dvd-Recorder-Vcr-Combo/11088889

I think you will be happier with one of those two devices above, plus they will work with your television set.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Blaze413

Blaze413
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:14 PM

Thank you both for the replies and I think I will go with the converter without the tv tuner. I tried software before like the one u posted and even with an hd radeon 4870, 8gb ddr3, and a phenomii x4 black edition the audio was still off when recording so I think it safer to just get the box lol so thank you very much for the suggestion can't wait to see those old cheesy films again!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

One of the suggestions to reduce/eliminate the synchronization issues...is to ensure that the disk used to save to has had chkdsk /r and defrag run on it...and has ample storage space.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users