Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAID 1 Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 traini

traini

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

Hello,

I've been having a terrible time with a computer that will freeze up temporarily. Everything will lock up for about 20 seconds or so, then go back to normal. Oddly enough, things like mp3 files will continue to play during the freezes but nothing responds, and the task manager doesn't show any programs taking up resources. I've tried everything from virus hunting to removing all unneccesary program, but to no avail.

I have two 500mb hard drives set up in a RAID 1 configuration. One thought is that there's something wrong with one of the drives or even with the onboard (nVidia) controller. My question is: can I simply unplug one of the drives and boot up the computer? I know this will probably mess up the RAID and I won't be able to set it up again (which is OK - I can just back things up some other way), but is there any problem with doing this?

Any help/answers/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:29 PM

Hello Tom and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Have you considered using a temp monitoring program to see if at some point your CPU or GPU temps max out above the safe threshold causing the temporary freeze ups to take place?

Try one of this programs:

Speed Fan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

When the computer freezes hopefully you will be able to see what the peak temp was when it happended.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 23 July 2011 - 09:33 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:49 PM

And if it ever crashes u can use a program called "who crashed" and it will tell u what file or files caused it if it wasn't a hardware issue

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:04 AM

try checking event viewer in control panel /under admin tools .
who crashed looks like a good program[first time i seen it referenced ] ,but since the computer didn't actually crash ,there will likely be no dump file for it to read .me thinks

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 traini

traini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

Sorry for taking a while to reply here. I'm still having the same issues and the suggested tests don't seem to be exposing any problems. The CPU temp stays right around 34 degrees and it doesn't look like anything abnormal is showing up in the event viewer. I should also say that along with the freezing, the computer has occasional periods of very sluggish response.

I think what I'd like to do is unplug one of the drives and try to boot up the other one. If it works, great. If not, I'll format it and once it's up and running, pull the files I need (gigs of family pictures and videos) from the first drive that I unplugged. What do you think? Are there flaws in this thinking? I don't necessarily have to have the RAID 1 configuration going; I just set that up to protect my files from drive failure.

Once again, any advice would be appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users