Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet after clean install

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DrProphet

DrProphet

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:18 PM

HELP!!

Big Booboo!!

Just had a horrible malware attack on my PC and was advised best course of action was a clean install. I backed up all my files and performed a clean install using the windows XP (sp2) disk that I got with my PC. I followed all the onscreen instructions, and now have a brand new desktop, all shiny and new. But I have no internet, and no idea how to configure it. I have done the following.

Checked for a network adapter. It exists.
Inserted my ISP disc, which could not locate my network adapter.
Looked for device manager by right-clicking on drive C: no option even for device manager in the properties/hardware section (I don't think)

other things i'm concerned about. Wasn't asked for the product key upon install.
Have no sound coming from speakers?

Very strange things going on.

Please help. Need to get back up 'n running to do my invoices for work :(

NOTE: I have driver discs but don't want to attempt using these until advised to do so.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:22 PM

After installing the OS did you install all drivers starting with the chipset driver?

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:25 PM

The drivers on the disk should work for all the hardware that is still on the computer since purchase.
If you have installed a different video card, for instance, then you will need to go to the manufacturer's
website to get the driver.
The network card driver is what is likely missing and the reason you are unable to connect to the internet.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:25 PM

No, thought the drivers may be on there already?

I have driver CD's do I have to start them from boot, or just run them in windows?

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:26 PM

Just insert the disc from within Windows. Install the chipset driver first.

#6 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

I have 4 discs. None of which state chipset?

1 is dell dimensions eurotools system software.

dells top tips
web-based email support
printer and scanner setup
antivirus software
support software
internet (ISP) software

two is eurotools system software 2
support software
paint shop pro
image expert

3 is device drivers
diagnostic utilities
computer documentation

4 is the same as 3, but both say must boot your computer from this cd to run the diagnostics which may require changing your computers boot sequence. OOPS

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:37 PM

You can either insert the disc with the device drivers or you can go to the Dell support site and enter your service tag number. It will bring up a page with all drivers and downloads for your system.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:37 PM

The chipset driver is on disc 3, along with all other device drivrs. You can either insert the disc with the device drivers or you can go to the Dell support site and enter your service tag number. It will bring up a page with all drivers and downloads for your system.

#9 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

just found another device driver cd. sorry.

It states

for reinstalling v.9x(capable)/56k data/fax modem software for microsoft windows

contents:
drivers
diagnostics and utilities
online documentation
modem on hold?

Could it be that one?

Or should I be adding all the drivers anyway?

Please excuse the naivety.

#10 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

Ok, i'll try disc 3 then 4 and see where that takes me. Thanks for your help so far. Don't know where i'd be without this forum :/

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:44 PM

Just insert the device driver cd or cd's. Install the chipset driver. Let it tell you what other drivers you may need. If you have a modem then yes, you need to install the modem driver. Also a driver for your video card, sound cart, etc.

If you still have a problem just do as I suggested and go to the Dell support site and enter your service tag number.

Edited by Allan, 23 July 2011 - 04:45 PM.

#12 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:51 PM

great thankyou. i'll check out the dell site now while the discs are running. Lucky I have a laptop too, huh :)

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:52 PM

We're here if you still have questions.

#14 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

er, well my internet connection is working on there now. No real idea how i managed that but no complaints :) at least from this point on I can download any drivers, software, antivirus bits form there. And of course visit this wonderful place. You guys are legends. Really helpful to know you guys are here. What a great job you do. I may not be out of the woods yet, so can this thread be left open for another 24 hours or so, just in case :)

Thanks again for all your help. I'll be sure to give you a mention on my facebook page, or like your fanpage if you have one. After all, I am definitely a fan of this place.

Cheers.

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

The thread will remain "open" indefinitely - don't worry. Glad you're on the road to recovery :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users