Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Service Pack 3CD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 craigstertoo

craigstertoo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

This is a computer I got from my mother-in-law, who knows almost nil about computers and virus scans, etc. She was getting this error, I ran Malwarebytes on it and it found 1800 infections and we wiped those out. I continue to get this system error code that tells me that I need to: "Now insert the Windows XP Service Pack 3CD.

Is this a virus? Malware? Malwarebytes comes up with no more infections. A google search does not show any Windows Service pack 3CD.

I keep getting an error message that I need to put in a disk for Windows Service Pack 3 CD.

My inlaws did have this computer and there is no telling what disks they may have inserted trying to get this message to go away.

I did run malwarebytes and while it found over 1300 infected files the first time, each subsequent run has showed no more infections.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Craigstertoo

Edited by hamluis, 23 July 2011 - 10:57 AM.
Merged posts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:32 AM

What is the exact error message and when do you get it?

Your system files may be getting altered by a virus and Windows File Protection is kicking in is my only guess with the limited info you have given.

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:42 AM

I keep getting an error message that I need to put in a disk for Windows Service Pack 3 CD.

Shot in the dark here, but did you actually try putting in the Windows SP3 CD? :lol:
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:52 AM

Now that your other post with very pertinent info has been merged with this thread, yes do at Ryan says and put in your CD. Windows files were altered or removed as I had suspected.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:55 AM

Take a look, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/windows-keeps-asking-for-windows-xp-professional/c3f1eb23-a5b5-4bfc-8acd-3b222deaa3aa

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users