Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Boot Winxp From My Old Hd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 novirusplease

novirusplease

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 04:51 PM

I run WinXP Professional ver 2002, SP2 (French version) on my old desktop 400Mhz Celeron (LX mainboard). It runs fine although a bit slow.
I recently bought a 2nd hand desktop PC, 1.2 Ghz Duron, K7 motherboard (Northbridge Sis741GX/Southbridge 964L) with 1 Gb ram. The orginal HD (40 Gb) is installed with WinXP Professional ver 2002, SP2 (German version). This configuration works fine. I naively thought that I could simply substitute the original HD with my old HD (also 40 Gb) so that I could use all my programs without having to copy or transfer any file. The PC boots fine until it display an error message saying that Win cannot be started normally. I have tried all Win boot choices but it did not help, it keeps saying that it cannot start Win. In the BIOS, all peripherals, including the old HD are identified correctly, the only HD being set up as master drive (both in BIOS and jumper configuration).
What should I do to use my old HD on this PC?
Any help is warmly welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 05:06 PM

The winXP on any PC is booting given unique identification of existing hardware.
Placing the HD on another PC confuses the winXP, and it'll fail to boot.
The hardware differs.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 novirusplease

novirusplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:23 AM

What would be the simplest way to recover all my programs and files?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:37 AM

There are software aps that claim to be able to move programs from one computer to another such as "Move Me 2.4".

I haven't used this and therefore cannot vouch for it personally but if you're interested take a look:

http://www.download.com/Move-Me/3000-2094_...tml?tag=lst-0-3

#5 novirusplease

novirusplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:09 AM

I thank all people who help this forum.

Back to my first question: am I condemned to leave my old HD in the old PC and only transfer the files or reinstall programs to the new HD, risking to loose some of the files/programs/cookies/access rights? Is WinXP so rooted into the PC that there is no way to migrate to another PC in a reasonable manner?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:45 AM

The op system is configured for the system it is in. It cannot operate a system with different registry requirements, ie, the drivers it will attempt to load will be for a different motherboard, sound card, cd rom, etc.

You can reinstall the programs and transfer your data on your new system.

You can also try to put your old hard drive in your new system as a slave. That will enable you to effectively transfer your data. You might be able to open programs installed on it by creating new shortcuts to their exe files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users