Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Constant Crashing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bmeng

bmeng

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:01 AM

I was wondering if you could help me out with a problem I have experienced recently. Since a week ago, my computer has started to freeze at random times, which would lead to some random applications closing such as chrome or microsoft security control. I can still use my mouse and such, but the computer would be completely unresponsive. I have tried to do clean installs, with vista, and the problem still persists. I then used windows 7 to do a clean install and the problem still occurs. And at almost every startup the CHKDSK runs. I tried updating my graphics card, and still nothing has happened. Could you please shed some light on the situation?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:40 AM

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) How EXACTLY are you doing the "clean installs"

3) The fact that checkdisk runs indicates at the very least a dirty bit - perhaps something worse. Do you currently have W7 installed? If so, please do this: right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

Otherwise, please go to the website of your hd manufacturer and download their diagnostic utility. Then burn it to a cd and run it.

#3 bmeng

bmeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:13 PM

1) Nothing has changed since the last time it worked properly. The only thing I can remember was installing a mod for GTA IV that upped the graphics for the game.

2) Im doing clean installs by inserting the OS disk, rebooting, and installing Windows 7 onto the only partition I have.

3) I do have W7 installed. Update after I reboot with CHKDSK

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:15 PM

1) Okay

2) If you don't format first it's not a clean install.

3) If I understand correctly you are now running chkdsk /r? Okay.

#5 bmeng

bmeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:47 PM

Alright I just ran the CHKDSK and it took a good 2+ hours. And does it matter if I didn't format the partition first?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:52 PM

It does matter. For example, if the problem is malware and if you don't format, it's still on the disc. And if you keep reinstalling without formatting I'm really not sure how you're doing that without creating multiple versions of the OS on the drive. Do you have an original Windows 7 disc? Are you prepared to REALLY start from scratch? If so, boot to the W7 disc and when the installation routine begins choose the option to delete the partition(s). Then recreate it (or them) and format - then install.

#7 bmeng

bmeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:00 PM

Oh okay, I just need to transfer my data first before I do the clean install. Do you think it could be a faulty Hard Drive? The problem seemed to only happen a while back when I installed or uninstalled program.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:04 PM

I don't know. You just ran chkdsk /r. If it completed successfully then it's likely the hd is okay for now. But it's really hard to tell at this point.

#9 bmeng

bmeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

Alright thank you for the reply. Would you still recommend a clean install?

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:15 PM

Exactly how have you been doing these reinstalls?

#11 bmeng

bmeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

Well I use the OS disk on startup, click install, and then click custom, then click on the partition that had the previous OS on it. Then I would just delete the window.old or get the files I needed from there.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

Okay. I'd suggest you just start from scratch and delete the partition, then recreate it and format. Then install. After installing please do all of the following:

1) Install all appropriate drivers (starting with the chipset driver)
2) Install an Anti Virus app
3) Go to Windows Update and install all updates

Let's see where we are after that. And of course there's no guaranty that there is no problem with the hd - there still may be - but I'm guessing chckdsk /r was successful.

#13 bmeng

bmeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:50 PM

Alright sounds good! The chkdsk was successful by the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users