Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to managing a server...few questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mb9023

mb9023

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:59 AM

So I got a job handed to me from a friend, as a 'free-lance' IT admin for a small-medium business (15-20 computers on the domain, and a few that aren't.). All I have is a basic Windows 2008 install. Are there any programs I should have installed? Like maybe for monitoring network traffic or websites visited, or any other useful things just to help manage the server/network in general? I'm familiar with AD, but that's about it as far as servers go! Any help/suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BrendanT

BrendanT

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:55 AM

Hey mb9023!

Is there any reason you want to monitor the network?? As long as AD is installed & configured correctly everything should be fine! If you can be more specific about what you want to do I'll be more able to help out.

BrendanT
-BrendanT

#3 Mr Smooth

Mr Smooth

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:33 PM

A few pointers;-

Don't make too much work for yourself. Advise the client to have a Computer Usage policy with regards to personal usage and what consists of unacceptable usage. The fact that 'it may be monitored' works far better than trying to block people and being draconian about it. People are far better at self monitoring when they know that someone may be watching.

Make sure Antivirus is installed on all machines and servers and its updated

Make sure that all updates and service packs are installed on the clients, and that you advise the client on which machines should be replaced/updated

Make sure that the server is being backed up and that you have a backup/disaster recovery plan that both you and they know about.

Make sure that you have someone reasonably technical that can follow instructions at the site that you may have to give.

Make sure that you always go over and above for the person who sorts out your invoice (very important!)

#4 mb9023

mb9023
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:08 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the pointers! I can't believe the previous guy didn't install AV on the server..can you recommend one - preferably free? I know not all AV software supports server OSs.

Edited by mb9023, 26 July 2011 - 04:09 PM.

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:07 PM

Well it depends on the company and the type of information stored there. If you have reasonably few users as you say, and you trust them to know partially what they're doing, then you should just impose some rules and not make it too strict. I'm taking my MCITP certification training right now, and they teach you to control anything and everything, but it really depends on the company and the nature of the work performed there. As for Antivirus on the server, I'd recommend GFI VIPRE premium home edition only unless you want centrally managed antivirus meaning that you deploy the AV solution out to all of the workstations, but if you trust that your users will keep the program up to date, you don't need to deploy it via GPOs. And by the way, are you using anything like Sharepoint, Exchange, or any of the others? If so, then you'll need to either look at GFI's options for Exchange at least, or you can go for Forefront, but I recommend the former regardless if it has Sharepoint 2010 integration (which it doesn't), since a custom solution for AV scanning in Sharepoint can be developed quite easily via the Service Application Framework.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#6 mb9023

mb9023
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:43 PM

Most of the work they do is web-based, no Sharepoint and we got rid of Exchange (thank God). Currently AVG is installed on all client machines, though I'm pretty sure the license they purchased has run out, so I need to figure out if they want to purchase a new one or try to use just the free edition, or move to something else entirely. I know AVG has a File-server edition for $100...I'd like to try finding something free, the owner is kind of a penny pincher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users