Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infection on Brand New Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JurassicSnark

JurassicSnark

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:30 PM

I just got a brand new laptop. And, when I say 'brand new', I don't mean I've only had it for two days or a week - it's literally brand new. Just out of the box.

It's an Acer Aspire 5253 running Win7 Home Premium. I unpacked it, ran through the setup process, created restore discs, downloaded AVG (and updated the virus definition files) and did a scan. It picked up 'Win32/Heur' virus and 'Win32/Heur.dropper' infections in 13 files, all in the c:\program files (x86)\acer games directory. Bejewelled, Dora's Carnival Adventure, Virtual Villagers, Plants vs. Zombies, Diner Dash... All are infected.

This makes no sense to me. I haven't installed any software on the system other than AVG, and the only internet activity I've had is accessing the AVG site. Is it possible that Acer has installed infected games on the systems they're shipping? Or is AVG glitched up, picking up false positives?

I've been away from Windows for awhile (after having switched to Mac), and although I worked with Windows since the days of 3.1 up to XP, I gave up when Vista rolled around, and am therefore unfamiliar with the Win7 OS. I'm just not sure if I'm missing something, or what?

Has anyone here had an out-of-the-box infection before? This is just really frustrating.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,658 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

Could be false positive.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/ to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

Be sure to restart the computer.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 JurassicSnark

JurassicSnark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:48 PM

Thanks, Broni.

I decided that it would be easier to just uninstall the offending games; my gaming preferences fall almost exclusively to MMOs, and I knew I wouldn't ever touch the Acer pre-loaded games, so I didn't see the point in disinfecting them and leaving them. Plus, freeing up HD space is always a bonus in my eyes.

After I uninstalled the files, I did download the software you suggested, and ran it; the log stated I had no infections. Another AVG run told me the same.

I appreciate the help. :)

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,658 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:01 PM

I would like to add that I believe those to be false positives, I had the same results on one of my friends laptops, an acer and avg flagged those exact same game exes.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users