Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Audio Problems

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 fle82

fle82

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:00 PM

My computer was recently infected with the iexplorer.exe virus. That situation was handled. What I notice now is that the audio has been affected. I am getting choppy/slow playback when running itunes and even notice static and other degradation to system sounds. I tried updating the audio driver for my realtek 97 audio card and even deleting/re-installing it. I would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks a lot!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 fle82

fle82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:24 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/W2xaxwKDqhlZdDhMuOZNV5r

Don't laugh this computer is way old! Haha.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:26 PM

I would go here: RealTek and update your drivers.

Also when was the last time you cleaned your computer?

I don't laugh at other peoples computers. You do what you can with what you have.

Edited by cryptodan, 23 July 2011 - 01:28 PM.

#5 fle82

fle82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

I updated the driver and codecs. Not a huge difference. I try to clean my computer regularly. I use ccleaner. Do you know of any other free utilities for detecting and fixing registry errors?

Edited by fle82, 22 July 2011 - 10:00 PM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:07 PM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
When I said cleaned, I meant about internally as in with a can of air.

#7 fle82

fle82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:40 PM

Got it. So I guess I will only use ccleaner to remove temp files, cache, and other miscellaneous files. Thanks for the advice.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:58 PM

What kind of computer do you have?

#9 fle82

fle82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

It's a Compaq Presario. I've also noticed that windows doesn't detect my av software anymore. I use StopZilla. I have no idea what that's all about. It's still running slower than ever. Do you have any ideas on how to fix this?

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

I would recommend not using StopZilla, and use something along the lines of Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials, Avira, or something else. StopZilla I think is more for anti-malware instead of anti-virus.

Post the model number of your Compaq, so I can go check out the specs via http://www.hp.com

#11 fle82

fle82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

SR111NX.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

I would run this http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect and see if you have any outdated intel drivers for your computer.

#13 fle82

fle82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:25 PM

The program says my intel graphics card is an intel 845g but has a customized manufacturer driver. No update. Chipset INF is up to date.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:29 PM

I would now run this Temp File Cleaner and see how much space on your drive gets freed up.

What applications are you experiencing the audio issues with?

#15 fle82

fle82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:19 PM

i'll try that. Itunes. Songs slow down, songs are choppy, etc. This happens most severely when I'm on the internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users