Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Reinstall Prep Questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chiphoto

chiphoto

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 03:08 PM

I recently installed a 2nd HD and a 2nd stick of 512 ram, however my computer doesn't seem to be running as fast I hoped it would, infact I really haven't seen any difference. I have a 2.53. ghz, 1g ram, 1 40gb main HD and a 80gb slave HD and I haven't seen a difference. So I was thinking that I should format my old C: drive and maybe get ride of any programs, issues, or bugs that may be slowing me down and reinstall XP.

But I've got several questions:

1: How should I go about backing up my programs and files? burn a DVD, transfer to the 2nd HD?
2: Should I use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, and if so, how do I know which programs are fine to transfer and which are not?
3: How do I go about formating my HD?
4: How do I go about reinstalling XP?

Any help would be great
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2006 - 03:36 PM

you can back up files to a second hard drive or to a dvd or cd.

If you do a reformat and reinstall of windows you will need to reinstall your programs. If you have them on a second hard drive, xp won't register them.

The files and settings transfer wizard isn't terribly helpful, but do remember to make a copy or your favorites folder and your e-mails.

Also make sure that you have up to date drivers for all hardware including video card, printer, camera, mp3 player, etc.

After you are sure you have backed up everything you want, boot from the xp disk. If it doesn't boot from the disk go into your bios setup and make sure cd drive is ahead of hard drive in boot order.

Skip the recovery console screen, at the next screen choose reinstall. Windows will then ask if you want to format your hard drive, choose yes and select from ntfs quick, ntfs full, fat32 quick or fat32 full. I would probably do ntfs full.

After windows is finished installing, make sure all drivers are up to date, reinstall your programs and files.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:18 AM

reinstall your programs and files.

Just one more note: When it comes to reinstalling your files, be carefull that you don't infect your computer with a virus.

Assuming your computer is now running slow because of an infection, then the problem may be hiding in your data.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 damn_it_neway

damn_it_neway

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:24 AM

I had to reformat my HD because of virus and now I have no audio..I have the driver for Realtek Ac'97 sound card from realtek dowloads but it crashes my puter....have had puter for 3 years and never had a prob till now and just realized now that i have no CD's to help me out and too late to go back on future shop for my XP disc and drivers disc (inexperienced or what) . Do not ask me how I am running right now but needless to say I can not update...I need to download the Microsoft UAA bus driver ( has something to do with the motherboard ) and I am not sure if this is because of some changes made by Microsoft or not...make sure you dont run into same prob by reformatting. From what I can tell loads have had this problem after reformatting. I will end up buying a new HD and with that some places will give me XP at a reduced price. Good luck and maybe more knowledgable people here can tell you how to keep your audio going. :thumbsup:

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:17 AM

Have you reinstalled the motherboard/chipset drivers? If not, please let us know the make and model of your motherboard (or the system if it's a major brand) and we'll be able to point you to these drivers.

Formatting your hard drive will remove all the drivers that were installed. Once you install Windows it lets you work with minimal driver support until you get all the drivers loaded back on the system.

How did you install your Windows if you don't have the disks? Was it from a recovery partition on your computer?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 chiphoto

chiphoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:57 PM

This maybe a dumb question but how do I go about getting the drivers for all my devices (is there a folder?) and if I burn them to a DVD, after the reinstalled of XP do I simply just pop the dvd and place that folder where it should be?
thanks

#7 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:47 PM

Not a dumb question. Windows XP can handle most devices but things like exotic sound/video cards, printers, network adaptors, etc, may need additional drivers. Some of these things came on a cd with the device if you added them on to your computer. Also, the drivers that xp installs may not be the most up to date.

I would check the video card, sound card, dvd burner, network adaptor and printer manufacturers' web-sites and download the latest versions for your hardware, also print out any installation instructions.

Burn them to a disk and after reinstalling windows install the new drivers.

Be sure to reinstall anti-virus, firewalls, anti-spyware programs before going back on the Internet.

Finally you will need to let XP reinstall all patches and updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users