Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Laptop for college

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lotusboots

lotusboots

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

Hello, I'll be going to college soon and I'm considering buying or making my own laptop. I don't know much about computers but my dad has built all of his desktops. So yeah!
My budget for the new computer is: Less than $800.

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? The primary uses would be mail, web browsing, using Microsoft Office, IMing, skyping, and gaming.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? I intend on using Microsoft

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? The only game I really play is the Sims but I want a computer that I can play more than just the Sims on it. The game should be able to play other games without it being extremely slow.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? I have a bad habit of doing that. It's just mainly having the internet open, iTunes, and being on skype.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
There is quite a bit of music on it.

More notes : I want a laptop that is fast but I can do a lot of things with it. Screen size doesn't really matter but I don't want a laptop that will break my back but I rather have a good laptop than care about size. Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:51 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230001

Asus, Toshiba, Lenovo are great brands. Dell, Hp, Acer, Gateway.. are decent brands. Now what games are we talking about? Most if not all modern computers will run the Sims.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:08 AM

lenovo G770 (10372KU)

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 lotusboots

lotusboots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:22 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230001

Asus, Toshiba, Lenovo are great brands. Dell, Hp, Acer, Gateway.. are decent brands. Now what games are we talking about? Most if not all modern computers will run the Sims.

Well I want a PC that can hold al my papers and homework. We're turning in everything electronically so I need to have a PC that can easily restore data. For games I want it to be able to hold Sims, because my Macbook Pro which I got in 2009 runs EXTREMELY slow with my Sims 3 and I haven't even used 1/2 of my memory in the computer...Also it should be able to hold Sims expansion packs and games like Postal and etc. But if I need to buy an external hard drive then that's fine.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

The Lenovo i suggested has a 750GB hard drive.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users