Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Christechie

Christechie

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

I've got a Dell XPS/Dimension Gen 4 PC, with a nVidia G Force 6 series video card. For the last few months, if I restart the PC, the PC fully boots up but I get no display on my monitor. The monitor's power light stays amber, as if the DVI cable is unplugged. If I perform a Shutdown and then power up the PC, the video works perfectly!

Today, the PC re-booted itself, without warning. I used remote software to access the desktop, since the display was not visible. I performed a shutdown. When I powered the PC back on, I was able to log on. After a minute or so, the PC shutdown completely and there was a burning smell, but I could not locate the source.

I unplugged the PC, opened the cover and used compressed air to clean everything out. I re-set all of the PCI cards and the memory modules. Now when I power it up, the burning smell is gone but the CPU fan starts spinning at a very high speed. The light on the power switch is green, but the neon colored light on the front panel does not come on. The diagnostic lights on the back are as follows:

A - amber
B - green
C - amber
D - green

The documentation indicates a possible faulty video card, but would this cause the CPU fan to spin so fast? Am I looking at a possible power supply issue? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

I would replace the video card.

#3 Christechie

Christechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:52 PM

When I re-opened the chassis and removed the video card, it was very evident that the burning smell was coming from this card. There was a burn mark on it. I'll be replacing the video card ASAP. Thanks!

#4 Christechie

Christechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:51 AM

Just to follow up, it was indeed the video card. Replace it and the PC is running fine!

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

Awesome news.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users