Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 polopolo

polopolo

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:28 PM

Is there a program to use windows xp and kubuntu in one pc? I want a booting list to start kubuntu or windows xp!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 polopolo

polopolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:20 AM

Is there no dual boot program with windows xp and kubuntu??? :thumbsup: :flowers:

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:48 PM

Could you not use LILO or GRUB to dual boot? Here are articles that may help...

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4622 (Grub)

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/5361/5/ (Grub)

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWT...-with-LILO.html (LILO)
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Storm Rider

Storm Rider

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:33 PM

Make sure XP is installed than install Kubuntu. The installer will load a partion manager and help you set up a Kubuntu and a swap partition. At the end of the installation, you'll have the option to install Grub. With Grub installed, Kubuntu will be the default OS to load. The Grub screen will be availalbe for about 10 seconds, if you want to boot XP, scroll to it and hit Enter.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:00 PM

I may have overlook the obvious. Why not write a line in the windows Boot.ini to choose the OS that will boot? I have never done that but I looked at it and it appears like it can be done.

#6 Sprite_Feedback

Sprite_Feedback

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:45 PM

Used to run dual boot xp/debian for a while the best options are to use GRUB or LILO from what I remember you trying to use XP's boot.ini is messy and you have to copy a kernel image or something or other over to your windows machine, been so long ago i cant exactly remember, but i do remember that you had to go through this process everytime you recompiled your kernel. LILO and GRUB handle it much easier and it's not to hard to either re-write your XP loader or fix GRUB/LILO afterwards.

ps apologies if my reccollection of this is so old it's a little off

g

#7 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:33 PM

I may have overlook the obvious. Why not write a line in the windows Boot.ini to choose the OS that will boot? I have never done that but I looked at it and it appears like it can be done.

It can be done, one must export the Linux bootloader and place it into the WIndow boot partition so one can point to it. I did a short tutorial on it somewhere if anyone is really that interested in doing it that way.
Posted Image

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:36 PM

That would be great for some of the Live flavors. They sit in a folder inside of windows.

#9 TedOb1

TedOb1

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:41 PM

Is there a program to use windows xp and kubuntu in one pc? I want a booting list to start kubuntu or windows xp!

why not run them both? most of the machines that come with XP have more than enough memory to do this.

go to VMware.com. they have a trial version of their workstation. with it you can make all the vmx image files you want of any OS. after the trial period the vmx images will contine to run with VMplayer which stays active after workstation expires or is also downloadable for free by itself. many vmx images have already been uploaded to differant sites on the internet so you dont even have to do the install on a virtual machine if you dont want to. you can set them up to share your ip addy or pick up their own settings (bridged) which is what i like to do. they are truly their own virtual machines.

once you make a vmx file for a live cd you can use it for any other live cd by changing the image name using notepad...that's it...one edit. copy the *.vmx and the *.vmdk files to a folder that contains the iso. edit the iso name in the vmx file. save the changes, double click the vmx and you have that live cd booting in windows

you can run as many OS's at one time as your memory will support. right now i have Auditor, suse and puppy running on my XP mach here at work and nothing has slowed down at all on any of them. i can use auditor as easy as languard

Edited by TedOb1, 10 February 2006 - 06:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users