Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Video Card doesn't seem to fit

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mwittry

mwittry

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:08 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a Dell Inspiron desktop computer with integrated display and I am wanted to have a dual monitor setup. So I bought a VisionTek Radeon X1050 with a DVI and VGA output on it. When I went to install the new video card, its seems as if it doesn't align with any of the slots to connect it to the motherboard. Does anyone know if this card is not compatible with my computer or if I am missing something. I am not all the computer savy so I appreciate the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:27 PM

What model inspiron? when it comes to video cards, chances are if it doesnt fit it wont work. Most computer parts are designed to only fit in the slot that they are designed to work in-if it doesnt physically fit into the slot, then chances are it isnt compatible. If you give us the model number of the inspiron we may be able to assist you in finding a card that is compatible.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 mwittry

mwittry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I have the Dell Inspiron 530 with the Intel® Core 2 Quad CPU Z9550 2.83GHz Processor, 64-bit Operating System.

Thanks!

#4 mwittry

mwittry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

Will this video card work instead? Thanks!

Edited by mwittry, 22 July 2011 - 09:48 PM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:03 AM

Will this video card work instead? Thanks!

Please PM me your service tag number so I can publicly post your motherboard's video card slot information.

We will then have a better idea what motherboard your computer has.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:10 AM

According to what im finding, your computer should have one PCI express x16 lane, and that card should fit, However your PSU may or may not be an issue. You need a minimum of 270-300 watt PSU to run that, and Im not finding the PSU specs online. If you remove your side cover of your computer and look on the PSU side there should be a sticker that should list the wattage and amperage on the +12v rail.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd530/en/OM/HTML/appendix.htm

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:11 AM

Dell is very well known to exclude knowledge to Techs, Mate, most of us tear our hair out about it, hence the past two Posts?

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#8 mwittry

mwittry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:18 AM

I will PM you.

Edited by mwittry, 23 July 2011 - 11:24 AM.

#9 mwittry

mwittry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:24 AM

The sticker says "The combine power on +12Va & +12Vb total 300W Max"

Is that what you are looking for?

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:28 PM

Thank you for PMing me the service tag number. :thumbup2:

This link is for Dell recommended graphics card upgrades for your system based on your service tag number, please use that as a means of getting a basic idea of what type of video card will correctly fit your PCI-E slot.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&category_id=6715&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&mfgpid=223429&chassisid=8455

The_Patriot11 has also posted that the card you posted above will work with your current system, so you can go with the one you posted above if you wish to.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 mwittry

mwittry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:49 PM

Thank you all so much!

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:14 PM

You're quite welcome. :wink:

Bruce.

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:15 AM

Thank you for PMing me the service tag number. :thumbup2:

This link is for Dell recommended graphics card upgrades for your system based on your service tag number, please use that as a means of getting a basic idea of what type of video card will correctly fit your PCI-E slot.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&category_id=6715&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&mfgpid=223429&chassisid=8455

The_Patriot11 has also posted that the card you posted above will work with your current system, so you can go with the one you posted above if you wish to.

Bruce.

LOL, Dell's prices for the graphics card are way overpriced.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#14 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:04 AM

I guess that is why they don't like to share information with Techs?

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#15 mwittry

mwittry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:09 PM

It turns out that the original video card I ordered was not available. I was wondering if this card would be compatible with my dell?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6764506

Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users