Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows System Files Renamed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alessa

alessa

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:02 PM

I'm still trying to recover from the damage that the newest version of Secretmaker did to my system. I thought I was doing well. I changed back the names of some of my programs that it changed to gibberish like this "XSEEJLU". Then, when trying to install office 2000, system file protection informed me that my system files were messed up. Lo and behold, I looked in that folder and found that Secretmaker had changed the names of many windows system folders...so I'm assuming Windows cant recognize them because they're not the right names. YIKES! To top it all of my computer came pre-loaded with XP so I don't have a CD to restore from. Any way I could find out what these files names were before so I can fix them? I'm at the end of my rope. Thanks so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 05:45 PM

If you have a system restore date set from before you used the Secretmaker ap, use it. Hopefully, you do.

How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q306084

#3 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 06:10 PM

Evidently this was a major problem with version 4.2.4. The next version is supposed to have fixed the problem. The only solution seems to be a system restore or knowing what the prior name of the folders were.

If you don't have a restore point, or can't launch windows, if you have a windows xp disk try booting from cd, skip the recovery console and at the next screen run repair. This should fix windows and preserve your programs and files.

You wil probably still have the renamed folders in the windows folder though. So you might have to do some manual cleanup after getting your system back up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users