Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 1545 windows explorer has stopped working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MrBarr

MrBarr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:57 AM

Windows explorer has stopped working on startup, which means that you cannot load any diagnostics to try and recover!
Have tried starting in Safe mode which ends up in the same status.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

Please explain the problem IN DETAIL. What is happening, what led up to it, etc. Also, What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 MrBarr

MrBarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:39 PM

Hi Allan
The laptop is someone else's so not aware of the how's!!

As soon as the machine is logged in, the only thing that is visible is the error message window 'windows explorer has stopped working' with the start button visible and the desktop background picture visible. As soon as the red cross icon is pressed there is no functionality apart from ctrl alt del which does allow you to view 5 options including task manager. I have removed the hard disk and done a virus scan using sophos which found 3 trojans that were allowed to be cleaned. Have put it back in the machine and same thing has happened as above.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:56 PM

Okay. Well the fact that the system was infected takes me out of the picture. May i suggest you post in the Am I Infected forum on this site to make sure the system is "clean". After that, if the problem persists you'll have two choices (in my opinion). The first is a repair install and if that doesn't work I'd suggest a clean start (format, reinstall). But as I said, let's make sure the system is clean first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users