Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't start up with Nvidia 8400M GS card,have to rollback to start machine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 waspnest2

waspnest2

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:16 AM

Hi there,

As mentioned in the title, the laptop, Samsung R700, 3 years old, won't start Windows with the Nvidia 8400M GS card any more. To get the laptop to start up I had to start up in safe mode and roll back. Then it works fine.

Is this the card default that so many laptops have had problems with or is there a way to sort this out?

Over the last 3 years this laptop has been a nightmare, could have bought a new one in what has been spent 'fixing' this one!!

On the NVidia forums some are blaming the driver update.

Any help / advice on this problem gratefully received.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

What version of windows are you using?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 waspnest2

waspnest2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:50 AM

Sorry in the delay in my reply.

I'm using Windows Vista. Have just added Service packs and all Updates.

#4 FluffyPup

FluffyPup

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

My sympathy on your NV card.

My computer has blown 2 NV 8400 cards. Just got it back from the third repair.

There have been successful law suits over this. Class actions suits for HP and Dell computers. These manufactures represent about 70% of the computer with the issue. My guess is the attorney's went after the manufactures that had a big enough problem for the attorneys to make money off of.

Careful with updating drivers. My manufacture stresses ONLY use their version of drivers. I do and I am on my third card, I think I am at least. Have yet to see any NV graphics on the returned computer.

Yes, it is a known problem that no manufacture will admit to because it is too much money to fix. The lawsuits devastated NV. Can't imagine if they were required to fix all the issues.

Best of luck.

If you find a solution, please let me know!

FP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users