The computer is an HP Compaq dc7800 Convertible Minitower PC running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
- A week ago I had a computer tech guy install an Asus Xonar DG sound card inside the tower. It worked fine after that.
- Three days ago (Monday night) I left the house for a brief trip and just returned now (Thursday night). I left the computer on so that my security camera's software would stay on running and recording while I was gone.
- When I came back tonight the computer was still on but a bunch of errors were popping up about how "Disk Write Failed" or "Delayed Write Error" with the path being the external hard drive that the security software saves the video feed to. I checked the drive and all my normal files were still there but there was no recorded video for any of the three days I was gone as there should have been. At this point I restarted the computer and that's when the black screen of death first presented itself.
- I did figure out that I'm able to boot into Safe Mode by tapping F8 repeatedly on startup, but once it boots onto the desktop in safe mode my mouse randomly stops working and I have no way to navigate the screen other than arrow keys, which is incredibly frustrating and I'm not sure what I should even be doing while in Safe Mode anyway. When attempting to restart in Safe Mode the computer will go its typical Windows XP screen that says "Windows is shutting down..." but will just hang there and 30 minutes later will still be displaying that same screen.
- The computer is (and has been) plugged into a battery back up.
- There's no disc in the CD-ROM drive.
So what do I do? What is the problem likely to be and how can I fix it? I googled "black screen startup" and was overwhelmed with results and I have no idea which of the potential causes could relate to my situation so I figured I should ask on a place like this. Again, any help or info would be *much* appreciated. Thanks in advance!