Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is merlin.log?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 question why

question why

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:17 AM

Greetings,
I just happened to find a merlin.log file on my computer (Windows7 home premium, sp1). I also have a laptop with the same OS, and it does not have that file. Searched internet, can't find anything useful to tell me what it is. I deleted the contents of the file, reopened yahoo messenger, and the contents were back indicating the time I opened YIM. I ran Spybot, malwarebytes, and avast, trendmicrohousecall, and found nothing. Is this a virus/trojan/keylogger/etc?

:oopsign: Ooops, I submitted too soon. Housecall has found 2 items, but it is not done yet so I don't know what it found. My sincere apologies for posting too soon. They say patience is a virtue. Just another thing I need to work on. :workout:

Thanks in advance.

Update -- Housecall finished and the two items were fixed...however, the merlin.log still came back after logging onto YIM. Additionally, Kapersky Virus Removal tool found nothing, so I am back to having a log file created whenever I log into YIM, and I don't know why or what program creates it. Again, thanks in advance for any help identifying this.

Edited by question why, 22 July 2011 - 05:16 AM.

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." - Albert Einstein

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:19 PM

Upload the file here: http://www.filedropper.com/
Post download link (copy URL: link):
Posted Image

I'll take a look.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 question why

question why
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:09 AM

Hello Broni, and thanks.

http://www.filedropper.com/merlin_1
"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." - Albert Einstein

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:29 AM

I don't see anything suspicious there:

07-22-11 10:15:18.292[2448]: VSI:YUI: Initializing Merlin...
07-22-11 10:15:18.308[2448]: VSI:YUI: SetAppInfo: Y!Msgr, C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\Skins, 0
07-22-11 10:15:18.308[2448]: VSI:YUI: SetAppInfo: SetThemeFile(C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\Skins\theme\theme.xml)

It looks like some regular login log.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 question why

question why
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:53 PM

Thanks Broni. I appreciate your help. Let's call this one closed.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:13 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users