Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer recently running slow

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:44 PM

To start off, my computer is running XP Pro with SP3. It's an older build (2ghz Athlon XP, 1GB ram), but I've only really used it for internet and not much else, and it's been plenty fast until recently. I'm the only one that uses it, so I know nothing bad has been downloaded. I have AVG running all the time, and use CCleaner, SpywareBlaster, Spybot S&D, and MalwareBytes. Also recently defragged the hard drive. I keep my startup list to a minimum, and keep things on my desktop to a minimum. Also checked all the capacitors on the motherboard and they are all in good shape.

A couple months ago it started being really slow when loading internet pages, and slightly slower in general. I tried everything I could think of to speed it up, but nothing really made a difference. I have fairly fast internet and all the other computers on the network are fine, so I know it's something to do with the computer. I downloaded NoScript on Firefox and it made a significant difference. I do have my virtual memory maxed out since it would say virtual memory is too low with some larger web pages. I think it's really just the scripts that are slowing it down, but I can't seem to find anything on how to keep them from slowing down the computer.

Is there anything else I can try? Possibly a stick of RAM going bad?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:41 AM

A system slows down for many reasons.

Like anything else, the more that it is used...the less efficient it becomes...just as we do :). The changes may be imperceptible, they may clearly be perceptible.

With older systemx, the typical way that I would approach this would be a periodic clean install, if I could not trace such slowness to any other factors.

It has long been a maxim of computing...that installing the maximum amount of RAM that Windows and the motherboard support...is the best way of attempting to gain max operational speed, all other factors not being considered. A system which accommodates 2GB of RAM will be faster with 2GB...than a system with 1GB.

Athlon XP systems are rather old by today's standards...when I had one, I employed 2GB of RAM, which was what my board supported.

I don't understand your reference to scripts slowing a system down. If you mean that you think that your Internet usage and storage of webpages is slowing your system down...then I suggest that you periodically dump your IE cache.

Any of the links at http://www.google.com/#hl=en&xhr=t&q=why+you+should+dump+your+browser+cache&cp=36&pf=p&sclient=psy&source=hp&aq=0n&aqi=q-n1&aql=&oq=why+you+should+dump+your+browser+cac&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=8a58e93555963d21&biw=1440&bih=671 cover this in depth.

FWIW: Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users