Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got this Compaq CQ56...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:29 PM

Hello... I have this laptop from a friend that forgot the password. So went to find a program to crack and erase the password. All worked fine afterwards, so I started deleting the previous user settings, erasing the music, photos, and so on. Then all started to go haywire as suddenly there is no way I can download Firefox to use it instead of Explorer; then wanted to download several programs like "Auslogics Defrag", Super Anti Spyware and others, but when it gets to start downloading it happens nothing. There is a box that reads: "Unable to open this internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later". There is an internet connection as I could go to the download.com site to try to download the programs I need. Trouble is that Windows found some viruses and said it fixed some of these partially, but I do need to download an anti virus program which was not available due that I deleted the Norton which ask for money, and replaced it with AVG, but then since I saw the computer not to work as usual, I restored it to an earlier time. I suspect this problem has something to do with me deleting the user settings...Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
MB

Compaq Presario CQ56 Notebook PC
Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Celeron 900@2.20GHz 2.19 GHz
Memory Ram 2.00 GB
64 bit OS

Edited by ignorantmonkey, 21 July 2011 - 11:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:59 PM

Hmm.. since it's a pc from a friend and you want to make it yours I would suggest wiping it. It is new enough to have a recovery partition, this would be the easiest thing to do and it would solve your current issues. To get the the recovery option when you first turn the computer on tap the F8 button.. and select the "repair my computer" option.. and follow the prompts.. once you get the the menu with selections the bottom choice should be Hp or Compaq recovery manager .. Select the option and follow the prompts. Now if you don't have the partition, I would try making a new user account and deleting the old one.

#3 ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:29 PM

Hello... Thanks for your input. I did what you suggested. I have no idea what caused Explorer not able to download a thing. I grabbed the .exe from AVG from another computer and installed it into the laptop via USB, then updated it and found a gazillion viruses I got rid of. Then since Explorer didn't allowed me to download a thing, I used Google Chrome and was able to download Firefox (my favorite). SInce then the machine has been working great, I just cannot delete or rename the old username from the Users folder on Documents. Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:16 AM

To get rid of former users...try going into the Users group (via Control Panel) and deleting the profile of the former owner/user.

http://superuser.com/questions/63017/delete-user-profile-on-windows-7-domain-computer

http://freewindowsvistatutorials.com/deleteUserAccountsRemoveWindowsProfiles.php

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users