Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions Re: Vista Antispyware 2012

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:17 PM

Hi, I just reformatted an older Vista laptop (HP G60) and before I could load any protection programs it acquired the Vista AntiSpyware 2012 malware. I was able to remove it (I thought) with a quick scan using Malwarebytes, but the computer keeps turning off and shutting down now, even in Safe Mode.

Is it possible for such malware to damage the HD or other components? I've never seen this before, and have had many bugs in the past. In regular startup mode, the computer also show a Fatal Error.

Would reformatting the HD fix this problem?

Thank You,
Educated Guess

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:32 PM

Is it possible for such malware to damage the HD or other components?

No.

What was the reason for reinstalling Windows?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:41 PM

Totally unrelated. I had some minor registry corruption and the machine wasn't recognizing various printers, but no problems with the HD, shutdown, nothing like that. It had never been reformatted since brand new, about five years. Maybe the machine got a little overheated. I'm going to let it sit for a while, then try again.

Thanks very much for responding.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:55 PM

Download System Information for Windows (SIW free version)
No installation required.

After it scans your computer, navigate to Hardware>Sensors and post all info from there.

Posted Image

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:16 AM

Broni, thanks, it seems to be fine now. The laptop is no longer shutting down. I will refer back to your post if it starts acting up again. Thanks for taking the time to post!

EducatedGuess

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:14 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users