Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Internet: Virus?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Helpplease15

Helpplease15

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

Hello,I am new to this community, and my computer and internet just started acting very slowly today. As I searched for help online, this website came up. Anyway, my internet and computer are really fast. However, ever since today, it has been really slow. My internet only has a download speed of 2-8 kbs and it takes a few minutes for a webpage to load. I have used ccleaner, and have cleaned out my registry. However it is still too slow. I have scanned with Spybot and Malwarebytes but nothing is infected. I am also unable to update my anti-spyware, virus programs. My avast,spybot, and malwarebytes can not update. So, is my computer infected or is there something wrong with my internet? My router is pretty new, and my computer seems to operate fast. The internet and the inability to update my anti-spyware, viruses are the only problem. Thank you

I am currently scanning on avast, and will reply with the results.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Helpplease15

Helpplease15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

No viruses have been found on avast quick scan.

#3 WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

2-8 kb/sec is extraordinarily slow. I'm assuming you have broadband. Could you go to speedtest.net and confirm your internet is really that slow?

Also, what kind of internet connection do you have (i.e. cable, satellite, DSL, etc.)? I ask because your connection can be affected by damage to infrastructure, etc. Also, whereas normally I'm pretty hot w/ computers (I'm majoring in comsci), I'll note that I'm up here b/c my wife stepped on (and cracked) her laptop and started using mine... which is now infected. That kind of reinforces my point about why I didn't want her to use mine, but I digress. My point is that my response time might not be great, but anyone that helps is probably going to ask similar questions anyway.

#4 Helpplease15

Helpplease15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:37 PM

Sure, and thank you for answering. Im using a DSL modem for internet connection. I'm waiting for the speedtest to load so I can test my speed.

#5 Helpplease15

Helpplease15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:40 AM

Edit: I have fixed this by calling my ISP. Please close this thread. Thanks!

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:08 PM

Thank you for letting us know.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users