Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grub Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NuckenFutz

NuckenFutz

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

Hi all, I have had some big problems with this laptop and I just remembered that my friend installed slax on this laptop's HDD. I remembered watching it boot and seeing all the commands go on but before all of that it said in caps GRUB. I looked into grub some and found out it was badly designed and the problem with the laptop was that we could not get it to boot ANYTHING other than slax via flash drive. Could grub be the reason why things are not booting? We want to get this thing running windows again but cannot get the install to boot by any methods. Does grub have these kinds of problems? Because this laptop is making no sense and it should always make sense. If some are thinking if im talking about the laptop in here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic408645.html/page__st__15__gopid__2336469#entry2336469
You are right. Still on this cursed laptop. :axe:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:07 PM

Do you still have a windoze partition on the laptop?
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#3 NuckenFutz

NuckenFutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:54 PM

Nope, we wiped the HDD

Edited by NuckenFutz, 21 July 2011 - 10:11 PM.

#4 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:44 PM

If the hdd is IDE, it's probably toast.
How was the hdd wiped -- do you know? For example, using the dd command or dban or some other software?
Use gparted or PartedMagic and see if new partitions are able to be created; then try installing ULTILEX to
one of the created partitions. If that does not work or stay bootable, the hdd is most likely to blame.

It's fun, though, ain't it!
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#5 NuckenFutz

NuckenFutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:09 AM

Thanks for the responce pane-free. And I beleive we just deleted everything with slax. I will try what you suggested =D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users