Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I tell a dual monitor card (PCI)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kenmtb

kenmtb

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:21 PM

Hi-
I would like to run dual monitors on my HP dc5100. (PCI).
There are a lot of video cards online but most do not say if they can
run dual monitors or not. Some appear to have a VGA and another type of connector.
Does that mean they can run 2 monitors at the same time or one of each?
Thanks
Ken

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:57 PM

I wouldn't count on any particular card supporting 2 monitors unless it explicitly says so. However, Matrox used to make PCI cards for dual-monitor setups all the time. I believe thiscard may suit your needs. I warn you, though, it is a heatsink-no-fan card, which means heat may be an issue. Be sure your computer is well-ventilated and that you never play video games on this sucker.

If you want to get cards that are a little better-documented and mainstream, the nVidia GeForce 5200 and ATI Radeon 9250 were some of the last cards to be sported on PCI connections, and I'm sure you can find reviews confirming whether they support dual-monitor solutions.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 21 July 2011 - 08:59 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 kenmtb

kenmtb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:57 PM

Thanks, I never thought about the cooling fan. I will make sure I get one with a fan. I appreciate the suggestions.
So If I understand correctly, you can not assume a card supports dual monitors even if it has 2 different connectiors
on the back of the card?
Ken

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:14 PM

That's correct, 2 connectors does not guarantee dual-monitor support. But to lead you in the right direction, I can tell you that my Radeon 9250 did support 2 monitors, but one monitor was forced to use S-Video output from the card, as it was the only port besides the stock VGA port.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 kenmtb

kenmtb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:58 PM

Good point.
I have seen some cards that were not advertised as dual monitor cards but I later
read that people were running dual monitors with different connectors.
I guess the only way to know for sure is to contact the manufacturers.

As a side note, It seems that cards advertised as dual monitor cards are very
pricey! ($100+)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users