Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I retrieve data from Vista backup?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:36 PM

I had a Vista Home Premium machine. and started getting hang-ups and blue screens. All diagnostics/scans/searches/etc that I did, and repairman did, showed no problems with anything...until the day it just wouldn't load Windows. We decided to go ahead and invest in a newer/faster machine, which came pre-loaded with Windows 7 Home Premium - Version 6.1.7601, Service Pack 1, Build 7601, which I am trying to get going now. My problem now is:

I did weekly backups on the Vista machine using Windows built-in backup tool and putting all onto an external drive. How do I get my data files, pics, and music from the external drive in their backed-up state to my new machine? I thought I was doing well to make a really thorough backup with everything on it, but am now stumped, and really scared that everything is gone because I don't know how to get to them. Silly me, I thought I could just copy things from that drive to my new machine. I have docs related to an ongoing lawsuit that I really need. Not to mention hundreds of songs and pictures of trips that are irreplaceable.

Can anything be done? Am I thoroughly screwed? (please say no)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:10 PM

The video howto in link below should help you.
Backup Files in Vista and Restore Them in Windows 7‏ - YouTube

Another option...using an Ubuntu Live CD...here is a howto video:
072 07 - Using The Ubuntu Live CD to Recover Files From an Un-Bootable Computer‏ - YouTube

Edited by buddy215, 21 July 2011 - 08:22 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:54 PM

:busy: YOU ROCK!!!! I climbed off the ledge and tried this, and will be eternally grateful for your help. (and, yep, will donate to the cause!!!) I am SO relieved!

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:41 AM

Good to hear you saved those docs.

Another suggestion.....online email accounts such as Hot Mail, Yahoo and Gmail allow for a lot of free storage.
I make use of that and store what is valuable to me in at least two online email accounts. A safe way to quickly have
access those files in case of fire, natural disaster, theft, etc. Generally, files as large as 25 mb can be emailed freely.

Of course, there are online commercial storage sites, too.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users