Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Online Games

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Xape

Xape

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 12:43 PM

Hello everyone ive just registered, and maybe should have gone to the intro page to start...but impatience from my son is more persuasive. He is running an AMD athlon 3000 processor with a ATI 9800 pro video card, the operating system is XP. Now the problem seems to be that although he has an internet connection, tried and tested and running at approx 1mb, when he attempts to connect to the net with an online game( and several have been tried) his connection goes down. This only occurs with online games, he is able to run all other online applications with no problems. This is a recent development as everything worked perfectly, now, he assures me nothing has been done to cause this. I, and several people I have spoken to have no clues whatsoever. Can anyone offer us a ray of light...Thank u all kindly. X

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2006 - 12:52 PM

What do you mean by "goes down"? Can he connect to, and enter the game, and then at some time the connexion is dropped? At what point does something happen? It would also help, I think, if you mentioned one of the games with which you are having problems.
Thanks,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Xape

Xape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:05 PM

thanks for droppin by John. No it seems the connection fails everytime , not mid game or any time into gaming, The games that have been tried are: Farcry ,SOF2, GTA,BfV, amongst others i believe. Thanks .X

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2006 - 06:03 PM

What do you use to access these games?

#5 Xape

Xape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:52 PM

Hello Enthusiast....im not entirely sure i understand your question..But i f u mean by what connection, its a 1mb adsl through a usb modem using speedtouch. not sure on the exact model etc. Its not presently at hand. X

#6 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:42 PM

Are you running a software firewall program other than the microsoft firewall? They can be set to block certain ports and may have by initial setting or accident be blocking the ports the games are using. The users manual for the games should list what port it/they are using and if you go into firewall program, there should be a section listing what ports are blocked and you can manually change to allow your games to connect to Internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users