Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop keyboard functioning oddly

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 luke77

luke77

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:12 PM

Hey guys,

I'm having lots of problems with my laptop and I'd appreciate any help you can give. Originally I thought I had a virus but now I'm thinking it may be strictly a hardware problem. Anyway, I didn't have any problems until this afternoon, when I booted up the computer and found that the keyboard was not functioning. A few letters worked, others functioned incorrectly (ie I would press the i key and it would show a o on the screen - this is just an example), and others gave me no response at all. I started a full scan with avast and while the avast screen was up I saw some infrequent blinking of a few letters on the screen at random places - another bad sign. Then a few minutes later the screen went to black. I hit ctrl-alt-delete and the normal help screen came up, but the screen was completely flipped upside-down. I attached an external keyboard and unflipped the screen, and the external keyboard works which makes me think that it is a hardware problem with my laptop keyboard rather than a virus. I ran a full scan and 3 problem files were found. I deleted them and restarted the computer and the keyboard still doesn't work.

Anyways, I'm typing this from a hotel computer...I'm actually traveling in istanbul and my laptop is usually my only link with the world so I'm slightly freaking out. Am I correct in thinking this is a hardware problem? The only thing I'm confused about is that I didn't spill anything on the board to prompt this...I have been traveling with the laptop for awhile so I guess dirt and dust could have been gradually seeping in.

If this is a hardware problem, what do I do now? Can I do anything on my own to get things working, or is this a job for a repair shop. Like I said I'm traveling so it may be tough to find one where I will be in the same place for long enough for them to fix it. I really appreciate any advice you can give. I'm using an emachines e725 running windows 7.

Ben

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 simon62

simon62

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:31 AM

laptop keyboardI have had similar problems with my Toshiba L650 and i purchased at new for 20 from coywood keyboards and it solved, Basically they told me its really rare and they have not seen a virus stop the keyboard working and a simple test to do which you have done is too plug in a USB keyboard and if that works it means its your laptop keyboard and not software or virus fault, I replaced my toshiba L650 a few months ago and it has worked fine ever since, Here is where i got the keyboard for my laptop from:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users