Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer won't install.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chibijelly

chibijelly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:08 PM

I just recently got rid of a virus on my computer. I'm running Windows XP on a Dell. When I went to print something yesterday, my printer wasn't installed anymore. It kept saying the spooler wasn't running. So I found out how to fix that, but it didn't work out and I still couldn't add a printer. I decided to uninstall the printer completely, then reinstall. Everything went well until the very end - it gives me an error message that says:

Cannot install this Hardware

There was an error installing this Hardware:
HPDeskjet 5400 series

An error occurred during the installation of this device.

The system cannot find the path specified.

Any tips?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:29 PM

It sounds like that error is from the Microsoft Hardware Wizard? The one that offers to automatically install drivers? It's not the most perfect program, and it doesn't recognize everything. You ought to try directly installing your printer drivers from the HP website.

I tried to find the drivers for you. The HP website's "Driver Search" function yielded a bunch of results, and I don't think they have a one-size-fits-all driver for the 5400 series. Can you say which exact printer you're using? There were 4 that seemed likely candidates for your needs. You can download the drivers for them here: 5420, 5432, 5440, 5442

Edited by Ryan 3000, 21 July 2011 - 05:32 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 chibijelly

chibijelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:44 PM

Hi! Thanks for replying. I'm trying to install a 5440. When I try downloading the driver from the HP site, it won't work. It keeps timing out on me. I've been trying to do that since last night. I just tried again, and I get nothing.

Edit: Also, the exe file is the same one I downloaded from elsewhere.

Edited by chibijelly, 21 July 2011 - 05:54 PM.

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

If you're saying the site won't let you download, I've set up a non-HP download link that you can try here with the 5440 drivers.
If this driver can't install, I'm afraid this problem is out of my league, as I'm not a Windows software guru. Please be sure to unplug and re-plug the printer when instructed in the drivers, and to run the file as administrator.

Edited by Blade Zephon, 22 July 2011 - 06:44 PM.
Removed link to independently hosted proprietary software

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

A couple of thoughts -

Did you unattach the printer from your computer before you did the uninstall?

How did you uninstall it- ADD/REMOVE programs, was there an uninstaller for the printer in the programs list, or did you use other means? I have seen where remnants from an uninstalled program caused big problems with a new install.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:09 PM

Did you unattach the printer from your computer before you did the uninstall?

Beat me to it.

HP printers can be a PITA to install/reinstall sometimes. As above, go through Add/Remove and remove the HP software. If that is your only HP brand equipment on your system, delete any "HP" folders. HP can have some really intrusive drivers/software. I have had to go into regedit on a couple of occasions and remove HP related keys. Do not hook up the printer before you are asked to do so as Windows will sometimes try to install it's own drivers. Then its back to square one.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:57 PM

Yep, dpunisher, it can get to be a pain sometimes. I have had some instances, where simply doing a search after uninstalling something ( and not allowing the reinstall ) could delete the items found, and all was well.

Which brings me to a question. I've started using Revo Uninstaller on the Windows machines here, and I really like it so far. I like the way it finds all the "remnants" in the registry and lets you delete them. This seems like an excellent tool to me - what do you think about it?

#8 chibijelly

chibijelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

These are all great tips, guys. Thank you so much! Unfortunately, I'm going out of town and trying to prep to leave today, so trying all this out will have to wait a bit...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users