Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card overheating

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 NekoStar

NekoStar

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

Hello guys, I'm sorry if this is the wrong spot to post this, although I should be fine...

Let me get to the point. I've played games like TellTale games' Back to the Future, or Minecraft, or RIFT, and even with Rift at lowest graphics, in the middle of gameplay, my monitor goes black and unresponsive. I can still hear sounds for a while before they too start to crash and repeat. Only way out of this is a hard restart. Now, i'm pretty sure that's video card overheating from what i've been told in the past and what i've researched. Let's work together to make that stop please? :(

Here are some details:
Video card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
Ram: 3GB
I use RivaTuner to monitor the temperature. As I type this, I have nothing but firefox and rivatuner running, and it's at 97 degrees Celsius. That is hot. I know.
I HAVE opened the cpu and cleaned it. Even when I have done this in the past, I can only get the temp down to maybe 60-70.
I have taken the video card and ram out of their slots, and put them back in to 'reset' them or... whatever.

If there is anymore information you need, please ask me. I am eager to help you to help me. XD
I have taken a screenshot of the temperatures using GPU-Z if you would like to see that. :I

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
~~"Animation can explain whatever the mind of man can conceive..."~~
--Walt Disney

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

NekoStar, one easy thing you can do to diagnose your problem is to open up your computer case while you're running your games, and observe what's going on. From the temperature of 97 celsius you mentioned, I think you either have a major airflow problem or your video card's fan is not working optimally. Check out the inside of your case and see if any red flags pop up, like jammed fans, dust bunnies, or otherwise. Also look to make sure your case's other fans are working properly, as intake and output of air from the case are also vital.

Be cautious, as liquids, metal, or body parts touching the components inside the case can cause permanent damage to the computer. It won't hurt, though, to do a little self-diagnosis by watching the video card fan as it runs.

If, indeed, your video card fan is not working properly, there are a few ways to address the problem but it's nothing critical. If you don't see any big indicators in the case, try downloading the latest 8800GT drivers from nVidia's website. It may be a software issue.

nerdy nitpick: Your computer's processor is called the CPU. It is a very small part of your computer, near the center of your motherboard, with a big fan/heatsink attached over it. The body of your computer is just called the computer case. This might help you better describe your problem :thumbup2:

Edited by Ryan 3000, 21 July 2011 - 05:15 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 NekoStar

NekoStar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:46 PM

AH. I see. Well, as i've said I've cleaned it recently, (last night,) so there are no dust bunnies, and the video card fan spins fine. (my fan speed is set at 100% btw. Still high degrees.) I had bought a new power supply pretty recently (like last year I think.) and that fan is fine... I DO notice that my tower space is a bit small, so I doubt the airflow is properly circulated, but i'm not sure. I have a Dell dimension E510. (Pretty old too. I got it refurbished maybe.... 5-6+ years ago. =_=)

I have a Pentium D CPU 2.80 GHz processor, 3 GB ram, and the previously mentioned video card. I was THINKING it may be some motherboard error, or like I said, internal tower space? I'll try downloading the latest Nvidia driver, like you said.

*EDIT* Okay, just tried to install the new drivers, and everything was going fine, until...
Posted Image

Edited by NekoStar, 21 July 2011 - 06:05 PM.

--Walt Disney

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:37 PM

Concerning your overheating problem: What kind of air circulation fans are in your computer case? I think the standard is to have at least one fan that blows exhaust out the back of the computer case, behind the CPU fan. There may also be an intake fan in the lower front of the case. If these are not spinning, or indeed, not moving enough air, you may try running your computer with the case opened and a household fan blowing directly into your case. It's not a permanent fix but it will certainly lock this down as a 'hardware overheating problem'.

Concerning your driver problem: I hope someone else can say more to this issue. All I can recommend is that you make sure that is the proper driver for your card and operating system, and don't forget to make sure it's 32-bit or 64-bit, according to your operating system's needs.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 NekoStar

NekoStar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:45 PM

I'm not sure how to find out what kind of fans I have in here. The 8800 GT video card has one fan on it, and I have a power supply that I bought recently (Mentioned before,) which also contains a decently sized fan. Those are the only two fans in the tower that are visible. I have the tower opened up at the moment, with a fan blowing into it, like you had suggested. Here are screenshots of GPU-Z, detailing the changes. Picture on left is BEFORE fan, pic on right is AFTER. (Over a span of 10 minutes.)

Posted ImagePosted Image

So what say you? (Sorry for picture spam, I just think visuals help more than what I attempt to say. Haha!

*EDIT* all of a sudden the fan speed has started dropping! From 100% to 55%! the GPU temperature readings are currently 73, and 65.3. (Not sure why there's two...)

*EDIT 2* Found the 3rd fan. It is blowing out of the FRONT of the tower, where there is metal mesh to allow air flow. (The tower is a Dell Dimension E510.) http://common5.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/11/0,1425,i=114951,00.jpg IT actually seems to be going a bit slow in my opinion... :o

Edited by NekoStar, 21 July 2011 - 08:06 PM.

--Walt Disney

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:24 PM

I may be totally wrong in every way forever, but I think the two temperature readings are from two locations on your GPU. Perhaps one is the intake temperature, and one is the exhaust temperature. I'm glad to see your case temps dropped noticeably, as this confirms that you have relatively poor circulation in your tower.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe your 8800GT vents exhaust to the rear of the PC? I think your front case fan and your other fans are fighting each other and resulting in poor airflow. Every computer I've ever used had an INTAKE in the front of the computer, sending fresh air to the back to be vented out the back.

Perhaps wait to see what the pros say about this, as I'm a humble hobbyist, but I think your problem might be helped by reversing your frontal fan to blow in the other direction, as an intake fan. Personally, my computer case has a small intake fan in the front and a large, slow-moving 120mm fan venting out the back, directly rear of the CPU fan. In the long run, you may want to install another fan to aid with exhausting air out of the back.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 21 July 2011 - 08:30 PM.

#7 NekoStar

NekoStar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:50 PM

You're right, it's an intake fan in the front. HOWEVER, I will show you some pics of my tower.

Here is a side-view of the tower.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6144/5962374391_c9f4a81f8c_b.jpg

Here are arrows showing the air flow.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6132/5962374547_9abf57fdc8_b.jpg

I hope that gives you an idea of what's going on in there. =_=

*EDIT* The air flow is incorrect for the power supply. It DOES vent out the back. The fan looking at the video card is an intake fan, and it spits out the back. But the video card fan flow is correct, so is the CPU fan flow.

Edited by NekoStar, 21 July 2011 - 08:53 PM.

--Walt Disney

#8 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:12 PM

Your computer's airflow is less than optimal. It's hard to make a recommendation at this point, because it'll take a lot of work to improve your airflow and lower temperatures. If you're not up for that, I'm afraid I can't recommend much. Dell's design here was pretty poor. If anyone else cares to contribute to the discussion, feel free, but the only option I see now is a ventilation overhaul. :(

Edited by Ryan 3000, 21 July 2011 - 09:13 PM.

#9 NekoStar

NekoStar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:17 PM

Thanks mate, at least you are trying to help. I think that's a good idea about the airflow. The inside of my tower is pretty cramped... But can I just get a new tower and move all of the 'intestines' of my current one into it? Will it be easy?

I really do appreciate your time! You've been a great help. :D
--Walt Disney

#10 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:32 PM

I considered the idea of moving your computer's innards into a new case, but you would still have that CPU fan blowing in the wrong direction. Still, your computer is pretty cramped, and a new case couldn't hurt. I'll recommend that you try the "case open with fan" approach to see if that helps your gaming experience, and if it does, a case upgrade may be in order.

#11 NekoStar

NekoStar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:10 PM

Like I had said in the edit, the cpu fan intakes from the front of the tower, and exhausts into the tower, towards the back. This system is about 7 years old, so it's about time for a new one, but there are plenty of things I want to keep. The video card for instance. However, if I had to replace some inside parts, what would you recommend? I'd be down for getting a new cpu unit altogether, and I was looking at THIS case to buy. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129093&cm_sp=Cat_Computer_Cases-_-YTVideo-_-YT11-129-093 Because it looks sexy.

I know you're just a hobbyist, but are there any CPU recommendations you can give? For now all i'm basing potential buys on is the 'minimum requirements' for Crysis 2. Haha! I mean, I don't want to spend any unnecessary money, but i'm ready to be DONE with this problem. You probably know more about it than me, so if I was DEAD SET on buying that case I mentioned above, what CPU and motherboard would I need to buy to be compatible with it? OR could I just keep my own?
--Walt Disney

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:05 AM

That Antec case will be producing a lot of airflow in the case for sure. You could get a i5-2500 or the "K" version if you plan to overclock. Also you would need new DDR3 RAM and motherboard.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#13 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

Killer is right, upgrading your CPU will require an upgrade to your motherboard and RAM as well, so this upgrade might run up into the $300-400 range. The CPU will certainly be your greatest expense. An i5 still costs over $200 and a mobo and RAM will probably round you up to $300.

#14 NekoStar

NekoStar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:01 PM

Thanks guys. I have actually been doing some searching, and I've decided on:
New case: Antec Lanboy air Blue Black / Blue ATX Mid Tower Computer Modular Case
New Motherboard: Intel BOXDH67GDB3 LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
New Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
New processor: Intel Core i5-2310 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz (3.2GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52310

It'll come to about $500 total.

I'm 99% sure this is all compatible. I haven't checked either, but i'm pretty sure the Nvidia 8800GT video card will work with that motherboard. If it's not too much to ask, can you guys confirm that this will all work together for me? And if it all is, then I think this is a case closed! :D

Edited by NekoStar, 22 July 2011 - 04:02 PM.

--Walt Disney

#15 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

This is completely your decision, but that Lanboy case is pretty pricey. You can get some good cases for $50 that have great airflow and good looks too. My own computer is framed in a Cooler Master Centurion, for example, which is great for airflow. If you want to foot the extra $100 I have no problem with that, but personally I hardly ever look at my case anymore. Otherwise, yeah, your picks look solid and this computer ought to work fine. I may recommend a little Frankenstein practice on your old computer before you try assembling the new one. As always, remember to unplug your computer and press the power button to drain residual power, then always wear an anti-static wristband or touch a metal object while handling computer innards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users