Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with Hotmail

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cobra5000

cobra5000

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:33 PM

this problem seemed to start right after i decided to see what all the "F" keys did, so i pushed each one, 1-12.
this is with Vista in a Toshiba Satellite A305.
what happens is as i am typing an email, and i use "enter" to break a line of text, and start typing on the next line, certain letters just will not "type" a letter. the three letters it wont type when this happens is s, f, l ( in lower case) I can however type them in upper case when this happens. Now if i type f-s when this happens i get a box that say "you are about the throw away this message with sending it?"

it doesnt always do it when i am typing an email, not sure what triggers it to start behaving this way. i thought it was using the enter button to break a line of text and start on the next line, but not sure if that it is.

Edited by cobalt5002, 22 July 2011 - 06:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,995 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:42 PM

Does this happen only in e-mail or elsewhere as well, such as in a word or text document?

Have you tried rebooting the computer?

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 cobra5000

cobra5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:59 AM

Yes, so far i only notice it happening in hotmail, and yes i did do a reboot. i also edited my initial statement above to be more accurate.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,995 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:13 AM

Are you using Hotmail through a web-browser or an e-mail client?

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 cobra5000

cobra5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

I am using it thru Internet explorer 7. so i would say a web browser

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,995 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:57 PM

Another question has occurred to me: When you hit all those F keys, did you have Hotmail open at the time? If not, did you have any applications open or running?

Orange Blossom

#7 cobra5000

cobra5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:07 PM

I dont remember. more than likely it was open, but it may have been minimized.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,995 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:14 PM

Hello,

I think you may have accidentally enabled some Hotmail shortcuts. I read here: http://www.axleration.com/keyboard-shortcuts-for-hotmail/ that f then s will send you to the sent folder.

This article: http://freeemailhelpwindowslivehotmail.com/enable-disable-or-customize-hotmail-keyboard-shortcuts.php explains how to enable, disable, or customize Hotmail shortcuts.

Orange Blossom

#9 cobra5000

cobra5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

Totally cool, thanks for doing the research for me. you dont want to know how tough a week i have had.
i will check it out and post on it tomorrow or so.

#10 cobra5000

cobra5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:53 PM

Thanks Orange Blossom
You are an Angel.
The hotmail keyboard shortcuts were enabled, so i just disabled. pretty sure that is what it must be.
Hugs

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,995 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:59 PM

Hello,

I'm glad the problem is resolved and that it turned out to be something relatively simple to fix, once the cause was found that is :) Thank you for letting us know.

Happy computing,

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users