Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing Motherboard help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kent1234

kent1234

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:25 PM

Need some good advice on buying a new motherboard. I have to replace my currently failed motherboard (Intel Desktop D945GNT) and I am looking around online for a suitable motherboard. Could someone tell me if I have to be careful about the chipset type I choose for the new motherboard, since my processor (Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 551/LGA775/3.40 GHz/800 MHz FSB) is all good and does not need to be replaced.
So my important question would be, will this processor of mine work alright with, say for example, a motherboard with Intel P35 Express chipset or any other chipset which is not in the compatibility list for my current processor.
OR finding a motherboard with matching socket type (775) would be enough for it to work with my processor?
OR any other features I need to be careful about such as the ATX form factor or Bus Speed?

- Also, i would like to have a general opinion on the two motherboard brands - Gigabyte or Asus, which one in your opinion is generally better?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 22 July 2011 - 03:36 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:58 PM

I'm not a tech person...I'm just a user like you...so I'll give my view :).

Well...generally speaking...the key match between motherboard and CPU is the socket...so if you have a socket 775 processor, it's safe to assume that any socket 775 board will work.

But...after you assume that, it's easy to take a look at the specs for the board...and the CPU :).

Chipsets...matter, in some cases. The chipset is important because it will reflect your onboard functions...and some chipsets have idiosyncracies.

In your case, it's pretty simple.

Intel lays out all sorts of data re this board, http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/dsktpboards/d945gnt , including Supported Processors. .

Your Processor.

By looking at either of these...you can find a fit in either CPU or board.

<<Also, i would like to have a general opinion on the two motherboard brands - Gigabyte or Asus, which one in your opinion is generally better?>>

Depends...on what board, what the user intends to do or wants to do...there is no honest blank endorsement that I can give for a brand. That's (IMO) one of the big fallacies that users make...they think that a board which is good...is typical of the quality of ALL products by that manufacturer...and the converse...that a board which has problems is typical of ALL boards by same manufacturer. It doesn't work that way, IMO.

I won't bore you with my personal preferences, but it would be neither of the manufacturers you listed. That doesn't mean that my preferences result in "better" boards used by me...probably the reverse :), I find that I like boards that others here scorn...I just treat motherboards for what they are...a product that I want and need and I don't need a lot of bells and whistles that others may want...for overclocking, game-playing, RAID, etc...because I'm not interested in those aspects of computing.

I do/have had boards by both Asus and Gigabyte. If I had to choose one or the other for a build/replacement...I would simply go with the cheapest which matched my needs and which happened to be available at the moment I decided to spend dollars :).

Tiger Direct Socket 775 Boards

Newegg Socket 775 Boards

The above are not the only vendors, they happen to be two reliable vendors regarding computer parts, current and older.

This will get you started on your quest for answers :).

Louis

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:46 AM

GIGABYTE GA-G41MT-USB3

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users