Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No power being sent to computer, faulty PSU?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MCKempt

MCKempt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:56 PM

My computer is a custom rig by me (First build) about a month in a half old. I was surfing the web when my computer literally turned off on me. I had recently added a card reader for SD's and other things, but I disconnected that and still no luck. No movement or anything was occuring to computer when this happened. What happens is when I push in the power button the PSU clicks but the computer will not boot, no display on monitor, etc. No other noise or lights happen besides this PSU click.

RIG:
Processor:Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
Mobo: MSI P67A-G45 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model MD8192KD3-1333
PSU: SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
HardDrive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Video: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
CPU Fan: XIGMATEK LOKI SD963 92mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler bracket included I7 i5 775 1155 AMD and dual fan push pull compatible

I have tried to revive it, so this is what I have done

First Thing I Did:
-Pulled out mobo, gently removed CPU for inspection. About 5 pins were crooked and bent. Realigned pins best I could (Static protection, and all) before reconnecting CPU to mobo. Still no working.

Second Thing I did:
Plug in mobo, cpu, cpu fan, and 2 sticks of RAM back into the PSU. The status light on mobo turns on. Plug in video card, PSU clicks but no power is sent to computer and won't turn on.

Kinda feel like I'm out of options. Will someone point out a new troubleshooting tip or tell me if I need to replace something? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MCKempt

MCKempt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

I wanted to restate for clarity:
But 'plug in' I mean I had put the RAM, CPU, and CPU fan into the mobo and plugged in CPU and mobo into PSU.

Status light turning on is a short serge of power enough to blink a light and spin the CPU fan before turning off, waiting, then turning back on.

I'm curious if the video card is junked or if the PSU can't handle the load.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

Are you connecting the PCI-E power connector to the video card? The card takes a 6 pin auxiliary power connector along with proper insertion into the PCI-E slot. If you are connecting the card properly I would suspect the PSU first then the CPU and likely the motherboard. If the pins on the CPU were bent prior to removal there is a VERY good chance the processor is dead. Do you hear any post beeps when booting the system without the video card (make sure the speakers are plugged in)?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 23 July 2011 - 01:38 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:49 PM

I'm deeply confused. You said you removed the CPU and there were bent pins, but the latest Intel processors don't even have pins, including the i5-2500k.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:46 PM

Good point Ryan 3000, looks like I missed the boat on that one :whistle:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +